Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup - I closed it, and now it wont open.

There is a pull handle below the glovebox, even after my missus was pulling and I was woggling ( :crazy: ) it still wont open.

Any tips / tricks of how solve this?

The handle on the bonnet is a solid handle. I have wiggled, pressed, juggled, pulled - still no joy.

Help greatly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the catch is a bit broken. Before I closed it properly, the release didnt seem to raise both sides of the catch but only one - kind of slanted, not straight.

Nothing in the bonnet, just my socket set which I need tomorrow!! :incheek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moby5153 said:
Try pressing down hard on the handle (knob pulled as far as poss) then quickly snatch the hood up and to one side hard
I love you!! :D

Open and not going to close again until I replace the catch!! :crazy:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Right had this problem the other week. Tried to do this single handedly and was a nightmare. Finally got the catch to release by cabletying the bonnet release pull to a nearby piece of metal. Then going to the front of the car and pressing down really hard on the release button and jerking up swiftly.

Must say though that the cause of my problem was down to no grease on the locking mecanism. Watch your thumb when pressing down on the handle button as it will hurt.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Brizzle,

thanks for the input, got it open now! Hoorah!

I have no button on the handle on the bonnet. Is my car weird? Or just old? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

Mines a '72 and has a button. I'm not that clued up on small details like that on earlier bugs but im sure that someone here can answer that.

Try to remember not to slam the bonnet down like i did,before fixing it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I`ve done this a couple of times, you can usually get to the lever and cable mechanism from under the front with a very thin long screwdriver, unless your bug is very low at the front (in which case you cant get your head under enough to see what ya doin), but if you look for the cable and lever, simply operate it with the long screwdriver and you`ll open it in no time. I`ve also used this way to break back into my bug twice when i have locked the keys in the ignition. Not wanting to damage the door rubbers by shoving stuff down them, opened the bonnet with that method, unscrewed the glove box from under the bonnet and then opened the door locks with a long stick. :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can also "trick" the catch using one of the old plastic shatterproof rules that you used to have at school, by sticking it up between the gap under the bonnet at the front, and giving it a good wiggle.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good suguestions!

It is low as hell though..... how am I gonna jack it up. I think I need ramps, or a shed load of wood! :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Dub Man said:
Hey Brizzle,

thanks for the input, got it open now! Hoorah!

I have no button on the handle on the bonnet. Is my car weird? Or just old? :rolleyes:
Your car's just old - my '66 has no button on the grab handle either. The button on the grab handle in 1968.

You've learned the hard way, as I did, that the mechanism needs to be regularly greased for it to work efficiently. I can understand your annoyance - I've been there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts