Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,

I started doing this for my gf a few months ago and got the majority done within a week....

However I haven't touched it for a while and I need some motivation to get it finished so I thought i'd start a thread showing you people the progress pics...

I know how much you all love resto pics ;)

So....what I started with was a £100 1969 1200 base model with a horrible set of 14" wellers :incheek:

some spannering and cursing later and we have this....

Now it's important to remember when buying a beetle for £100 that you're not likely to be getting a lot of metal for your money ;)

Further investigation revealed that this car was no exception....

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
luckily some kind soul had already started the work for me by repairing the lower door pillar... :incheek:

so, not put off by any of this I cracked out the power tools and cut the whole lot out :D

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously I wasn't about to leave the door pillar like that so after a bit of measuring, that went on the scrap pile too...

The rear corner section still had a bit of rot in it so I set to and lopped that out aswell...

Whilst i'm not trying to build a show quality car for her I want it to still be considered "not shit" and to last a good few years, so whilst the repairs will not be invisable, they will still be good enough in that I'm not planning to plate over any nasty bits :tick:

so with that in mind I started snipping and welding...

Then when I was happy all was good I stuck in the new hater channel and floorpan....

and along with it the lower door pillar.....

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I was happy everything was in and aligned properly I started closing it all back up again...

I haven't finished tidying up the welding on the pillar in this one but you get thee idea...

:)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy with the progress so far, I turned my attention to the other side...

which as you can see was a combination of rot and previous repairs :hangloose

So again armed with the necessary tools, out it all came :D

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and the same corner section repaired....

I've since done a localised repair to the bottom door pillar and welded the pan in but that's about as far as I got :coffeecup

I still need to do, rear bumper hangers, rear body mount panels and the spare wheel section along with various local repais here and there :D ...oh and finish fitting the other channel :hangloose

I need some motivation to get it finished (see sig.) :crazy: :D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I found it was a drag too after what you think the big bits are done. All those little fiddly jobs add up. But keep with it, looking good to me.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
You've shown me all those photos before but I still felt compelled to study them all again. It's going to be a nice solid little car once you have finished with it. :D

Just think - welding at this time of year keeps you nice and warm. Sorry, that was the best I could come up with... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
hey at least im gonna do the paint work see how you get all the easy stuff :incheek:
:eek: and i thought lulu loved them wheels :crazy:
all in all not a bad job for a youngen :rolleyes:
only joking all the work i have seen is grade A considering the state of the car when i owned it then after gary got hold of it(bless him it was his first attempt at welding)
look forward to painting it black or purple or green or whatever colour she finally desides to do it think it should be WHITE :D
Motivation errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm no i aint got any spare try GSF i thing they sell it :crazy:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might have a go at painting it myself too, seems a shame to do all the shit jobs then pass on the fun one to someone else :crazy:

If it goes to shit i'll prime it again and send it your way :D

Saying that though, I can't see the day it ever gets painted coming because she can't pic a colour bless her :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Looking good ,I'm doing almost all the same repairs on my Beetle at the moment.
Can you tell me what your going to do about replacing the seam between the rh door pillar and the inner wing , I was trying to work out what I'm going to do on mine as the repair panels I've got don't seem to accomadate replacing that bit.

Andy

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Mmmm Wellers. :p

Looking good. Very tidy welding. I reckon you should paint EVERYTHING a nice shade of violet. :D

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pike said:
Looking good ,I'm doing almost all the same repairs on my Beetle at the moment.
Can you tell me what your going to do about replacing the seam between the rh door pillar and the inner wing , I was trying to work out what I'm going to do on mine as the repair panels I've got don't seem to accomadate replacing that bit.

Andy
Already done it mate, where the door pillar meets the inner wing panel it has some extra material which you fold over.

Plug weld the lip of the inner wing panel to the inside of the pillar and grind the weld flush, then carefully dolly the lip over to form the seam :)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking maybe just do it java green and have it done with, I reckon it'd look wicked :D

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ross said:
Puru green is a 69 colour :D

Ladies and gentlemen I think we have a winner :D

Always liked that colour, now I just need to convince her ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts