Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having engine problems with my 1600, so it's heads are stripped down. So I needed another engine to keep me going for a couple of weeks, and bought (as far as I can tell) a mid sixties 1500. The seller said he'd put the 12v (200mm clutch) flywheel from a 1600 (obviously 12v) on it, so I just put a clutch on it and fitted it. Now it won't fire up (maybe a different issue, but could be related), but the worst thing is a horrible high pitched grinding whirring noise when the starter is cranked. It really feels as if something is tight, grinding, and vibrates like hell. :(

A passing neighbour watched the engine while I was cranking it, and commented on how slowly it seemed to be turning over (at least how it seemed to him). I should've got him to crank it while I watched too, but didn't (I'm tired after spending all day yesterday and today checking, prepping, and fitting the engine, so not thinking straight anymore).

My thoughts are what if the seller picked up the wrong flywheel from his spare parts. They're not what I'd call a VW savvy person, and a quick call to him today to ask about where the flywheel came from revealed it was fitted a few months ago, and he isn't 100% certain now about it being the 1600 flywheel, but thinks it is. Doh! Though the seller says he bought the engine without a flywheel. I'm wondering if he still managed to fit a 6v by mistake.

Did they make a 6v 200mm clutch flywheel for the 1500? They must have? For as far as I know the 1500 was supposed to have a 200mm clutch, and the 1500 was made in the 60's as a 6v.

Forgive me if I'm rambling, but I'm tired, frustrated, and thoroughly fed up at the moment.

So, to recap. If a 6v 200mm clutch 1500 flywheel was fitted to a 12v car with a 12v starter, what happens? Does it turn over, and does it make a horrible noise?

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
If a 6v 200mm clutch 1500 flywheel was fitted to a 12v car with a 12v starter, what happens?
Yes, indeedy. (gnashing and grinding of teeth) :eek:

I would also question whether they reset the endfloat shims.

Engine out time...

6V flywheels have 109 teeth.
12V flywheels have 130 teeth.

SJ

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yep, count the teeth, and check the end float, you can't just bung a flywheel on and not set the end float!!!! Could be as loose as an mfi wardrobe or tight as an nuns muff:crazy:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That confirms my suspicions. As soon as I mentioned taking the engine back out people were trying to talk me out of it - not listening to me and my thoughts on it - they just weren't listening to my logic and train of thought when gut feeling was telling me I was right. :(
It'll probably be Saturday morning before I have a chance (time) to drop the engine (again).
As for endfloat, going by experience and feel of various engines over the years, it feels about right, but obviously needs measuring. Oh, and that reminds me, I asked him "What did you torque the flywheel nut to?" and he said "I did it as tight as I could" So it could be well over tight.
So, it's going to be a case of drop the engine, count the flywheel teeth, undo the flywheel nut, replace the flywheel if necessary, check the endfloat, and torque up the flywheel nut properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts