Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story!

Im 19 and a student and have allways wanted an old vw, so me and my dad thought we would have a bash at restoring one! :)
I bought a lovely black 69 1300 about 4years ago, although after much poking around, she needed just too much work and we decided to scrap the body :(
As i only paid £300 for the whole car, and she had a new 1500 engine, EMPI 8's and various other nice parts so it was still a worthwhile purchase!
The 71 you see here is the car i bought after the 69 and after 2 more hard years, almost all the body repairs have been completed.

Unfortunately, us getting a new computer and my general foolishness had led to majority of the photos we took along the way being lost :(

Heres a few photos of the work in progress.
Any coments & questions would be greatly appreciated
Moonska
:hangloose

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far the pannels to be replaced are:

Both front inner arches
Both rear inner arches
Two rear cross members
Two heater channels
Two full floor pans
Both rear lower quarters
Both bottom A-posts
Chassis frame head
Half a Napoleans Hat
Removerable Rear valance (welded up exhaust cut-outs)
Pannel under rear window
Welded up extrenal filler flap

Jeez it all adds up! A whole new boot floor will soon be fitted.

As said before, majority of the pics have been lost. But heres a few of the rotten nearside inner arch / boot floor.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad made a jig that supported the body to make sure the pannel was alligned correctly.
After a lot of cutting, joggling and grinding back the pannel was ready to be offered up.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heres the same pannel fitted on the step with self tapping screws.

And the back:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here thes innner wing all welded up, ground back and with a thin coat of primer.
Although the new heater channel, rear lower quarter and crossmember have also been fitted at the time of the photo!

Side view of the lower quarter pannel.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve Pegg said:
Tidy work there! Keep the pics coming and good luck with the project! :hangloose
Cheers matey :)
Will put some more pics up later today or tomorrow, then i'll take some recent ones.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for everyones kind words :) Its nice to get some good comments after all the hard work. Im going to take some pics of how she is currently, ready to put up after ive been through all the old ones :)

Heres a shot of the inside of the offside quarter, compared to the pic above of the nearside, alot more metal was cut away. About 8'' up the quarter pannel which made it very difficult to get it shapped correctly!
The new heater channel, inner arch and crossmember had allready been completed at this point, with a thin shot of primer, but i cant find any pics of the fitting of these :(

Checking allignment on the new floor pan.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The n/s/f inner arch was a right pain as the pannel wasnt actually big enough to cover all the rot. Heres what it looked like after the pannel had been welded in, we fabricated a piece out of sheet metal to fit the hole (and the hole on the wing flange) and the final fit was pritty good :)
About 5 captive nuts were replaced on this side aswell!

It doesnt look that pritty in the pic, looks better in the flesh! Once primered it was barely noticeable :D

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres another shot of the A-post bottom on the n/s. All welded in and just needing the seam folded and welded up. Again it doesnt look that pritty but its amazing what difference it makes after a bit of primer when its all in one colour! :)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing that cause a few problems was the rot that was under the rear window. As theres no replacement panel available, we decided to fabricate 2 pieces to fit and welded them in. We considered cutting up a donar vehicle from the scrap yard but decided it would probablly would have taken longer. You can see the massive section that was cut out on the picture below, it was awfull to weld to the old metal and it was blowing holes everywhere. We stayed with it and ended up looking pritty good (even though you wont be able to see it anyway!)

We also took time to fit the new rear strut brace :crazy:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We were really happy with the result on the o/s A-post, we made a jig out of wood (like the one from hookys) with the top and bottom door bolts holes, too ensure it was all alligned correctly.
You can just about see the new front inner arch on this pic aswell.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
al_kaholik said:
Make sure you bare metal and reprime any repro parts - the primer is just transit stuff and really will go rusty quickly, even in a garage. Anything will do!

Looking good though, going to be trying my hand with the welder over the summer to keep costs down...
Yeh the primmer on the panels is pritty thin and not that great really! 90% of the car is in primer now so its all good :)

Yeh man, restos at garages cost and arm and a leg!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
benjyhas said:
wow, amazing!! :eek: Your dad looks to be one seriously talented chap!!!! :D

Ben :hangloose
Cheers matey, i'll pass on your comments!
He did a body off resto on a Triumph stag about 12years ago so he learnt alot from doing that. Its our first experience with VW's tho!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With the whole spare wheel tray and fuel tank side sections removed the firewall? could be worked on. The bottom 3'' or so had to be replaced on both sides. We did this by making a cardboard template and then fabricating a piece out fo sheet metal.
On the offisde a 6'' section of the arched 'bridge' section that goes over the napoleon hat had to be replaced, this was a real pain to fit and weld in.
Heres a shot of the firewall after the bottoms had been replaced with a thin layer of primer.

The inside painted in Por15.

The front primered :)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts