Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 - Will there be any problems with flywheel interferring with g'box housing? Clutch is 180mm, earlier style release bearing on the g'box itself though....
#2 - Can't for the life of me find what bolt/studs/nuts I'll need! remember they're 17mm spanner (M10), but how many of ech of the three I'll need I don't know :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,

Matt :hangloose

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
You may have to use a die grinder on the 'lumps' inside the 65 G/box bell housing, to provide clearance for the 72 Flywheel, (it should only require a bit of 'shaving'). Also make sure the Starter motor pinion is compatible with that 72 Flywheel, (they have a different number of teeth than the 65 flywheel).
You will need to use the 'early' style clutch pressure plate which has a 'pad' or ring in the centre, to match up with the early style release bearing in the 65 G/box.
The engine should already have the bottom 2 studs, you just need M10 nuts and washers for them. The top engine bolts should remain with the gearbox, they will both have the 'half moon' heads, to stop them spinning when you tighten the 2 M10 nuts in the engine bay. If they have gone AWOL, it's better to get the proper bolts, but in the meantime you could use ordinary M10 bolts, about 4 inches long on the starter motor side, and about 3 inches on the other, but you'll need someone to hold them with a spanner whilst you tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you laurence - will have to double-check the exact age of the engine though....when did they start to differ in size as I know the tranny for the 1200 and 1300 was the same at some point!?

Yours empty-headedly,

matt :hangloose

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Not sure of the exact year of that change, it coincided with the change to 12 volt electrics, which included different starter and flywheel, so I'd say 1966. 1200's may have carried on with the old style parts for a bit, but by 72 should have all changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts