Volkszone Forum banner

381 - 400 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 · (Edited)
Made a new buddy seat which also houses the cooler.

Looks the same as before but finished in laminate rather than veneer which will stand up better to the abuse it gets....

Neat form MDF around a former skeleton with access for the cooler below...

The top surface will be covered in 3mm rubber

Obviously a little dusty!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 · (Edited)
Welding

The van is with JC Welding services for the next few days.

My welding is non existent and the jobs needed on our van are far beyond me!

The list of jobs for him is:

Sliding door cill and running track

Sliding door inner and outer skin (lower 10 inches)

Blistering around front windscreen

Hinge panel between tailgate and engine lid

Drivers front wheel arch

All panels are from schofields. They come highly rated by JC

Starting with the engine lid hinge panel...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 · (Edited)
Also replaced the alternator,

Our original unit had a slightly bent shaft and the diodes inside were failing meaning you have to rev the engine when first started to get the gen light to go out.

For the use the van gets we have gone with an aftermarket unit....

Initial Drives seem positive, Starts better and idles smoother...

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 · (Edited)
Wheels!

Our empi wheels were also looking their age.

We have the Midlands wheels version which have the thinner centre 'flower' pattern between the spokes for when they are fitted to wide five stud pattern.

The proud lip at the top was removed and then the wheels re powder coated.

Looks much better, first image shows the metal removed roughly first.

Stress that our particular wheels are only 4mm thick at this point so the metal removed adds nothing to the structure of this brand of wheel.
Most brands of the empi wheel are much thicker here as they just drilled straight through this part for wide wide, again ours are not these type...

New Rain Expert tyres also fitted- Cannot believe the reduction in road noise compared to my old Chinese Westlakes! :lol:

This will also be the colour the lower half of the van will be painted...

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Sliding Door Cill

More photos this morning of the Sliding Door cill.

This was completely gone in all areas so its had new inner cill, running track and outer cill as well as the outriggers and jacking points and belly pan.

B Pillar also redone.

Starting to look much better!

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
Sliding Door Repair

The Last of the welding jobs is the sliding door. It had been reskinnned, badly, in the past and was full of filler...

Inner an outer 250mm needs to be replaced...

The inner section is the only piece that we've had that Schofields don't make its Klokkerholm and definitely shows...

Weld through primer

Tacked in

Welded and cleaned up...

And fitted...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 · (Edited)
So after collecting the van from the welders I spent a couple of hours fiddling with the sliding door, to check I could get it right after paint.
A thorough clean and lubrication of the mechanisms and some careful lining up and the results are pretty good!

Link to video

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 · (Edited)
Spent some time today removing old paint (and filler, so much filler!) from the passenger wheel arch and the leading edge of the front panel.

Not really sure on why there was so much on the arch as there is no damage, maybe to bring the line out inline with the horrendous amount of filler also on the B post.
Again there was no damage here so I can only assume this is the follow on filling from the previously poor sliding door repair.
As the sliding door is now good this can all come out...

Anyways removed all this which gave me better door gaps once down to metal, yep so much that it was impacting the door gaps.

This arch was also a repro one fitted yesteryear and although is ok, it was fitted slightly too high at the B post so I've always been chasing a door gap here.

I ran a hack saw blade down the weld here and managed to persuade the outer arch down a few more mm to give a more consistent gap. I'll weld this back up and should be great.

I'm bare metalling this whole area too

Gaps much better now

Then the previous door had been reskinned badly so the front panel also received loads of filler to bring it out inline with the door.

These doors have been replaced with a great set of doors from the US with no damage so the filler here can now be removed too...

Starting to look a bit better...

Sliding door lines up well too...

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Spent the morning stripping more out and off of the van,

Dash out, and front emptied.

And removed the tail gate, bumper, engine lid, lights and interior trim etc.

Also stripped the front end

I'm trying to bare metal everything and I'll then spray in epoxy primer before it goes to the painters, any filler will be used over the epoxy so all the steel receives the same base layer of protection...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Also found some nasty rot right on the rear corner, really pissed me off that I didn't spot it before going to the welders...

Not sure on the solution to this one and don't want to bodge it up with gloop...

Wondering if I'll get away with cutting the rectangle out inline with the bulge and welding in along there or whether the remaining metal will still be too thin?

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Spent an hour today deep cleaning some more of the interior.

White spirit to remove heavy marking, followed by hot soapy water followed by hot hand wash soapy water and finally a vinyl and leather cleaner/ protector.

The water shows the state of the previously relatively clean cushions...

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Spent today finishing off the bare metalling on the front end upto the b post.
I’ve completely bare metalled and then epoxy primed, I’ve pulled a few dents up and then will do any more pulling and filling where needed on top of the epoxy keeping the steel underneath the first coat...

I really need to replace the deformation panel and inner valence but budget at the minute isn’t there so this is being patched up to make acceptable and then replaced in a few years....

Anyways let the photos talk all apertures bare metalled, and primed....

fairly large dent here which cannot be accessed from the back so tacked a washer side on and pulled it out with the screwdriver through the hole....

and primed....

sore hands today!

I spray PU over wood based materials all day everyday and never get the drips I managed to get in this stuff!

381 - 400 of 427 Posts