Volkszone Forum banner

401 - 420 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
More bare metalling, rear panel behind the sliding door, this panel was replaced 15 years ago and although had its fair share of filler like everywhere else is pretty good and flat!
the p36 sanding discs I bought made quick work of stripping this large area!

not quite up to date and I’ve now stripped most of the window aperture too but forgot to take a snap.

the van is currently at my place of work so I can do 30 mins before I start 30 mins after a quick lunch and 30 mins after work which soon gets through the hours!

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Yet more bare metalling and odd jobs of welding.
my welding is shit and I have a friend who is more than good and enjoys doing it with me so any odd holes or bits that needed doing as a result of removing old paint and filler are being done...

Side panel and gutters all stripped, nothing to report here there are a few badly repaired dents in the higher section of the rear corner but I should be able to beat these out without too much drama.

Small patch also needed in tailgate seal channel...

So happy to be going all the way back to metal, there won’t be any bad previous repairs underneath this time around....

Two dents in the rear corner, quite significant but my panel beating skills although basic aren’t too bad so should be able to get the bulk of these out...

Then got the van back inside, cleaned and degreased with alcohol before a couple of light coats of epoxy primer upto where I’ve got....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Shows the dents I need to pull out in the rear corner....
Would have got these out before priming but I needed to get that section primed yesterday so will have to get them out after and reprime that local area

and the small patch in the seal channel

Afterwards I moved onto the offside rear corner which I knew was a little more suspect but didn’t think it was as bad as it was so we’ve chopped out the corner along with the battery tray and lower section of the D post.
Luckily I have a skilled friend will to help!

Out with the crusty!

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Finally finished the stripping today!
so happy to have got all this done, some more welding this evening and we’re getting there! There are a few dents to pull and scabby bits on this side that need sorting but progress non the less!

Last delivery of panels arrived from Alan H Scholfields, their panels fit like Lego!

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Last part of the van in epoxy primer, they’ll be more to do as the last of the welding is done but now protected again, we’ve been lucky to have such dry warm weather recently which has helped to keep the pressure off a bit...

zinc rich non porous epoxy is now the base below any filler needed for a completely sealed base :)

Panels back from blasting, the large flats have been left to bare metal by hand to avoid distortion.

And finally today stripped the face of the sliding door and got it in epoxy...

Chris.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Rear corners were next on the list, the existing panel was joggled everything plug welded with the join on the exterior to be stitch welded afterwards…

and repeated the other side

Finally the outer rear valance went on…

Panels then stitch welded and ground down,

Everything bare metalled again and epoxy primed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looks like a good solid bus now, what colour scheme you going for...
ours is in progress too at the moment hopefully another couple of weeks and will be in epoxy primer too. Dare I ask rough cost for painting to give me a guide.....(y)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Got my big front brakes all on bled and tested!

They revolve around a t4 vented front disc and amorok/ mk7 transit front calipers. It's a Bosch unit used on both vehicles as far as I'm aware.
These calipers have the same bore as stock bay so still use two 41mm pistons so fine for the stock master cylinder but are a sliding caliper so the pistons work together meaning a much larger pad that stock bay window. This means that the pedal should be similar feel to stock but with more braking ability...
Brackets are milled from 1" thick steel so no questions regarding strength there. And boy does it stop now! Also powder coated yellow like the rears. With no chance of the discs warping now during heavy braking with the thicker vented t4 item.

Fills up the wheels well...

Chris
what set up did you use on rears, we used Mk4 golf/sharman combination

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
Looks like a good solid bus now, what colour scheme you going for...
ours is in progress too at the moment hopefully another couple of weeks and will be in epoxy primer too. Dare I ask rough cost for painting to give me a guide.....(y)
Not sure on final cost, it was one thing first based on a simple resorts but after the amount of metwl work that’s been done, needs something more….
bmw alpine white on top, RAL 9007 to match the wheels below

401 - 420 of 427 Posts