Volkszone Forum banner
441 - 460 of 460 Posts

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
And finally, made a start on installing these today…

Automotive design Rectangle Motor vehicle Floor Flooring

They drop pretty much straight into place. The woven linen effect laminate suits the van much better than the old grey gloss…

Also made a start on the wiring in the end bay. Going to look much neater!

Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Gas Wire

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
Got the wiring finished up (just about) got the units fully in and the sofa back in too, just got the worktop to go along with the sink and hob and we’re good to go.
you can now see where my smaller leisure panel is on the end, including battery isolator, usb power, 240v power, light switch and jump relay switch. Much better location for it than in the cupboard before…

Electricity Electrical wiring Line Cable Electronic engineering

Wood Floor Flooring Cabinetry Gas

Black Automotive design Motor vehicle Style Hood

Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Had a spare couple of hours today so got the sofa fully back into place and the buddy seat/ fridge back in as well as a quick tidy up of all the rubbish tools and cable trimmings that had accumulated in the van.
Fridge cooler works again as expected.
Just waiting on a pair of runners for the drawer and the work top to go in.
figured out the issues I had with the sub not working and looking like a campervan again!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Flooring Vehicle Rectangle

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
Made a start of the corian top, got the main shape cut out along with the cut outs for the sink and the hob…
Window Building Wood Fixture Rectangle

Wood Gas Electrical wiring Machine Workbench

After that made a start on the edge detail adding a no drip edge to the entire perimeter so made up the insert pieces as such:
Hand Automotive tire Finger Nail Wood

Gas Electricity Electrical wiring Working animal Cable

These will be inserted into a rebate all the way around the top as shown:

Hand Table Wood Comfort Textile

Then finally sanded and finished flush.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
Got everything back in today, just got odds and sods left to do like install the tap and connect up the gas line for the hob. These can both be done when the worktop adhesive has dried.

the white doesn’t look as harsh against the cream in reality and the no drip edge disappears quite well in a normal glance.

Window Automotive design Motor vehicle Kitchen Automotive exterior

Tap Plumbing fixture Fluid Fixture Automotive design

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Made a start on installing a diesel heater today.

A few years ago I had a steel bracket fabricated to hold the heater under the belly pan area. This then will allow it to pump straight into the existing heater channels for a stock style operation. This has since been powder coated black.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 · (Edited)
So today I have been mocking various parts up to install this a mere two years after purchasing!

The bracket is exactly the right length to fit between the cross members so all that's needed is a couple of holes drilled and the heater then hangs from above...

You can see below how I have then ran the exhaust through the rear most chassis member (not yet bracketed) and out by the torsion bar tubes. Again allowing belly pan fitment.

Inlet will come in front and terminate somewhere in the centre section.

Both inlet and exhaust will be fixed out off the way of each other and I will probably wrap the exhaust in fibreglass wrap for belt and braces.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 · (Edited)
This shot shows the heater outlet plumbing into the existing heater tube. Again purely mocked up today as I need a steel adapter making to reduce the existing down to the Chinese diesel heater bore size.

In the final shot you can see how little the heater hangs down due to being tucked up in the centre section. I haven't yet tried the belly pan back on but am thinking if I am really really lucky it may fit without modification! We shall see... The slight bulge at the bottom is just the air inlet hose which hasn't yet been clipped up into place

Made a start on modifying the wiring loom to suit my install and still working out where best to mount the tank and pump. I had seen a lovely metal tank made by someone on eBay which sits behind the passenger seat which looks ideal however I'm not sure the fuel will flow nicely and the pump may then struggle with how far it will be from the heater. Need to do some more research on this part.

There is an Australian guy on YouTube who has a massive series of videos on these which has helped a lot with this so far. He explains how to get these to operate reliably and I'm trying to follow his advice as closely as I can.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
Continued with the install of this, got my wiring routed through and connected up to the leisure system.
extended the loom for the controller to reach the dash board and shortened the fuel pump cabling to reach the pump location.

installed the air intake hose and clipped it into place on the heater chassis.

Put the exhaust in place to check clearance, the exhaust will be wrapped but clearance is good...

Intake filter mounted at the front.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
2 Hours today saw me mount the controller on the dash and extend the controller loom to route it round neatly and out of the way all the way back to the heater... pain of a job but done neatly so I never have to consider it again!

Always preferred these analogue style controllers over the LED screens for neater period correct looking installs

Chris.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 · (Edited)
Ordered a different Diesel Tank to the one that came with the kit. Although narrow the standard 10L tanks that are supplied are quite big and bulky which makes mounting them in a discreet location a pain.

I wanted to mount it under the sofa bed for a few reasons:
1. Out of the way
2. Close to the fuel pump/ heater - My fuel pipe run should be less than 1m all in, making it easier for the pump to work. I am feeding the pump via gravity syphon effect so wanted it all as close as possible.

This smaller 4.5L tank is perfect and has sufficient flat surface on the top to mount the fuel pick up from a stand pipe and not a low outlet, potentially causing leaks! It also has a moulded bracket hanger incorporated into the design so mounting is as simple as screwing the steel plate to the location and dropping the tank onto it, no screws through the body of the tank!

More faffing around with cabling to pull them to where I needed them but obviously no evidence of that!

Chris.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 · (Edited)
This morning I've been working on the fuel delivery system.

Fuel pump mounted, I made a simple bracket to hang from the chassis rails, then mounted the soft mount holder onto a spare facet fuel pump rubber mount so its pretty flexible to minimise clicking noises... Shortened the fuel pump cabling and routed it through the best route I could.

The photo makes it look on the piss due to the angle that the chassis rail runs here but its parallel with the direction of the van...

Also mounted the fuel pick up in my tank. Was dreading this job as access inside is poor however one of the Wera Joker spanners I have is perfect length and has a nut holding function so this was actually a breeze, managed to get the whole lot inside the filling cap and hold the nut whilst spinning the pick up tube to tighten it up!

Chris.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 · (Edited)
Made more progress with the fuel tank and hose, not quite happy with this yet, want to hard mount the stop tap on a metal bracket and beaten up the hose clamps but getting there.

The fuel line will go through the floor to meet the fuel filter and then the fuel pump…

Chris.

441 - 460 of 460 Posts