Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as Dan picked up the Twin slider last week he dropped off a 72 beetle for us to play with.

Im not sure how far or what we are going to do with this or even if we will do a full readers rides on it.

I have a liking for the German look at the mo, but im just not sure:confused: its a nice solid 1972 bug with very flat paint and some rust on the body panels, but other than that she is solid in the right places.Needs brakes sorting and so far as i can see 3 patches welding.

So as usual with me its wheels and engine first!

Some second hand centrelines of here which i got some rubber put on a week before it even arrived running 185/60/15 on the front and 205/65/15 on the rear

It came with an adjustable front beam which is not that adjustable but i will have another go tomorrow at it.

Pulled the front bumper off as its horrible and thought about T bars as they would look nice up front.

Put an old stlye Tacho in it and compound polished some of the paint in differnt areas and surprised but it came up with a nice shine but it will defo need a spray in the future but for now i think i will just treat rust,weld in 3 small patches,mop the paint,and spray the sides white so its 2 tone.
As it does look a little like no.worries peppermint dream its bad enough we have similer colour buses but this would just be to much:moon:

So tomorrow im gona finish of the rust prep then do a little filler work and prime then poss do a little paint,

Engine wise i have a new 1641 and some webber 34's so i think im just gona chuck them together and whack that in for a while with a nice mondo poking out the back.

The nice thing is my wife is really getting involved with this and keeps giving me her ideas on what she thinks we should do with it instead of just going its old and smells and sounds really loud:lol:

Hopefully i will have it ready and a fresh mot in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
looks good mate!:)

im liking those wheels and that exhust yougot going there!!:D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awh hows you ?

Thanks she is a little gem this one, spent a little bit of time on her today sorting out the surface rust and a little filler and i mean a little 3 places and then i cut down the blocks on the front beam to try to get it lower but its not made much of a change its sitting right on the lowest it will go!

Iain popped over earlier and we changed the ht leads and the dizzy cab filled her up with oil as it was empty and she fired her little 1300 engine into life runs really well.

Tomorrow im gona sand back the filler and acid etch prime then maybe a little paint makeover if the weathers good enough.

Saw peggys looking good

Hope your well little yella xx

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Thanks

Im keeping the Tacho mate i bought of here for this bug;)

I will be using her as a daily driver for a while so rolling project she is mate
:lol:
roling projects are good... but work progress isnt usually fast as you need to use themm,... hence why mine has a primitive interior!:)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spent most of the day sanding back the filler on the small 3 bits that needed it and then hooked up the brake bleeding kit i borrowd from Iain Ambrose (Thanks) and proceeded to go through the process of bleeding the brake lines which i did until the last one which once i undid the bleed nipple it was bone dry no fluid even under pressure from the kit so i pumped the brake pedal and i did release the fluid but still not much.
I did everything back up and tested them and to be honest they are no different from before.:(
So i will give them a proper overhaul next week.
Im still not sure on what to do with the body as it really could do with a repsray i dont like the colour and its been badly put on in the past so a key up and some good prep in the affected areas should give it a good base for paint we thought we would do a 2 tone cal look and we painted one side white just to get an idea and im just not sure.

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Two tone FTW!

Gota have the trim though if you go two tone, that or a painted diving line to "define" where one starts and the other ends :p

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah well you see this is what happend today, Well actually lastnight my wife was have a look through vzi with me and saw a satin black bugs on here and said she really likes the look!

Now im not a huge fan to be honest but i did say that i would take on board what she said

Anyways we went out to buy some blinds for the house and we popped into Halfords next door to homebase and she said come on lets do it!

My reaction was slow but i thought well if i dont like it then i can always reapint it later on.

So once home we tested it on the car you know a nice little test area just to see how it would possibly look.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
God i really should read the text before i post it terrible grammer.
Anyways the small test area below

Now if you dont like it then well tough its not your bug its ours and to be honest it needs a full bare metal respray and i just dont have the time im using as a daily as from next week once the mot is done!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
er is it bad that i actually like that...............

all you need now is some red bulbs in the side lights she will look really mean

1 - 20 of 74 Posts