Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last, I have managed to get hold of a '72 Crossover van (low front indicators & large rears) in expectional condition!!!!

Been looking for ages and up pops one on E-bay! most of the steel has been replaced, all work done on the chasis, plus a full 2 pack respray in glorious red and white. Also comes with the original awning!.

Just a few minor things to sort out but nothing that can't wait.

Here are some pics:

Nice shiny paint (with the roof up)

As above but with the roof down!

Here's the original awning

The 'buddy' seats

Another shot of the interior, showing the back seat

I am well pleased with my purchase!!!!!

See ya later :lol:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roonstar,

Worked out how to do it (using the FAQ) so all is OK.
Thanks any way!

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Roonstar!!!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Van

Noticed that it judders when starting from stationary and a slight judder when changing gear, but once warm, not as noticable!
Could this be an issue with the clutch? :eek:

R's

Andy

Have posted this in the Tech section, so ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got the van today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The van was bought over e-bay (I had used the pictures from e-bay to give me a big lift every time I looked at them - sad or what!!)

Finally got the van at 15:30 today.
Had a full check over and the previous owner mentioned that he noticed that the the roof was leaking and that he had never noticed it before!!!!

He showed me that it leaks from the front window. This was due to a new window being installed around 12 months ago, but no sealant was used around the rubber, so water is getting in!!! Is there any way of getting out of this hole without removing the screen etc or is it going to be a big job.

The leak from the roof is down to the perspex window seal failing (have put a bowl on the inside to capture the water). Will look at taking out the perspex and resealing next week. (what is the best way to seal the units? do I use rubber or just normal silicon sealant??).

The body panel on the inside, where the windscreen is, is totally shot, but this will have to wait till next year as funds are now tight (Xmas and all... does any one want to buy my motor bike??)

Any way, more pics will appear and I will get to give her a good looking over tomorrow.

Cheers and good night.

Andy

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
1,997 Posts
sounds like the judder could be oil on the clutch any windscreen company will seal the screen for you not alot of money that other problem sounds major have they covered up any other nasty gremlins looks nice ???

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ronnie12342003,

Thanks for your reply.
I will have a look at the clutch issue over the next few weeks! (after 10 minutes or so, the clutch works fine...).
I will try what you suggest and get in touch with a windscreen company to see about sealing it in better.

Noticed to day after a good poke around, that the heat exchanger on the drivers side is really rusty and that the passenger one is awol!!! Also the pipes from the exchagers to the fan shroud are also missing so this will be the next things to tackle after I have made it more water tight.

Cheers,

Andy :hangloose

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Windscreen Leak

Ah well!

Took it to a windscreen place. The guy took one look and decided that the sealant wouldn't work!!!!!
He came up with no other options apart from taking it out and checking all the metal work etc.... :mad:

Well, with the weather starting to turn, and having now covered place to work on here, I think I will have to invest in a van cover and work on the problem next year. :(

What's the sp in taking the screen out? Is it possible to do it without breaking it? :eek:

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Bulldog200

Trying to keep it orgininal as poss!

R's

Andy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A Few more pics:

Just a couple more pics of her:

Notice the front wheel in this pic! hub cap came off while on the M62 over Saddleworth Moor... Discovered gap over the hub (to keep the grease in!) didn't exist, so grease went every where.... :mad:

R's

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The grease, which I thought was causing issues with braking (pulling to the left) wasn't!!!
Basically, whoever put on new calipers, on the right didn't bother to replace the disk or the pads as both are shot and very dangerous :mad: (took the family out on a 150 mile round trip!!!)

Sent an e-mail to the bloke I bought it off, and he replied saying that he was unaware of this, but has offered to cover the cost of the replacement parts etc.............. What can I say? :confused:

I will gladly take up his offer and see if he keeps his end of the bargin!!

R's

·
Registered
571 Posts
No probs taking screen out, but be prepared for the horror of the flaky front panel. Wait until you have the time, money and patience to do it right. Also if fornt screen is leaking, watch out for your fusebox. It's normally on the left hand side up behing the glove box.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the reply!
I will try to tackle this after xmas (due to lack of funds and time) as I have been instructed by the 'better half' that the van must be ready by the 6 week holidays!

Plus I finally got a JK van cover, so hopefully this will slow down any possible rotting process!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New disks have arrived from JK today - hope to get them installed this weekend!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't get to fit the disks this weekend (had a bonfire instead :) )
Should be doing this weekend tho'.
Will show some piccies of new disks etc when done (very sad I know :crazy: )

R's

1 - 20 of 696 Posts