Volkszone Forum banner
641 - 660 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
Some have reported that the video is not playable from Photobucket so uploaded to youtube.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
Have you managed to get it started yet?
Not had chance and no constructive pointers to look at

Off on Friday so if I have a break in the planned bad weather I will have another look and try checking the TDC and sparks are seen on all plugs etc.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Not had chance and no constructive pointers to look at

Off on Friday so if I have a break in the planned bad weather I will have another look and try checking the TDC and sparks are seen on all plugs etc.
Might as well check valve clearances too. And spark plugs to see if they smell of fuel.
If theres fuel then it can only really be spark though. Timing could be too far out to fire.

My bay used to refuse to fire when the pilot (idle jet) was blocked. My bug did the same and it was a tiny thread off a microfibre cloth in the jet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
Might as well check valve clearances too. And spark plugs to see if they smell of fuel.
If theres fuel then it can only really be spark though. Timing could be too far out to fire.

My bay used to refuse to fire when the pilot (idle jet) was blocked. My bug did the same and it was a tiny thread off a microfibre cloth in the jet. :rolleyes:
I rebuilt the Carb not too long ago and checked all the jets but still a possibility.
Set the valve clearances before the engine was installed in the van.
I think its the timing more than anything else so fingers crossed for good weather on Friday!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
Not been on for a few months due to work and stuff but will carry on the fight!!

This morning had another look.
Cam cover off on the right and started to rotate the engine until I saw the intake port close on cylinder 1.

Took out the spark plug and shoved in the end of a piece of metal and the piston was at the top.
Checked the pulley and the groove was pointing nearly at the case split - so close to TDC on piston 1 then.
Took the cam cover off on the other side and when I rocked the engine back and forth I could see the rockers moving on cylinder 3 so definitely not TDC on cylinder 3.

Took the dizzy cap off and this is the position of the rotor arm - moved the body of the dizzy so that the points look to be closed and here are some pics.

So - I will have to move the plug cable for number one to the bottom.

Oh and the cat came in to help….

Not tried to fire it up yet as I wanted you guys input first.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
So all the plug leads were rotated 1 position anti-clockwise from where they should have been? That'll definately make a difference. ;)

If the points gap is correct and you use a test lamp you can get the number 1 firing point close enough for it to fire.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
Had another look today with Adey (from the Earlybay forum) and Nige.
The issue with the dizzy is the rotor is out by about 15 degrees or so, so the distributor drive in the engine block needed to be moved anti-clockwise to put it in the correct orientation so Nige had a good idea of how to do this which worked.

Static then strobe to check the timing and now looks spot on.

But - engine still won't start. On the key it seems to turnover slowly which we think could be the issue or the jets in the carb so will have another look next weekend.

So close and all that!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
The engine works :)

Massive shout to Nige and Adey from the Earlybay forum!!!

Will upload a vid once the van battery is charged.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
So what was the fault?
Combination of getting the timing zeroed in and adjusting the valve gaps as some were too tight :eek:
Sounds pretty good but the battery in the van was from my old Ford Focus and well past its best and will no longer charge so need to get another one.
I will try and use my old Audi A8 battery which will have enough juice to turn the engine over but too big for the van:)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 ·
Here's a vid of the engine running :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·

After getting the engine working thought it best to start on the foot pedal and linkage.
I bought a replacement but decided to go for a Buttys Bits replacement so duly ordered and arrived a few days back.
Followed the instructions and all connected up:

Then mounted the pedal:

Then I needed to mount the spring to the arm that connects to the throttle cable but looks like someone had made their own stop thingy so nothing to mount it to :(

So - how to sort this out??

Also, I need a cable connecting thingy for the carb end as I don't have one !!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

After getting the engine working thought it best to start on the foot pedal and linkage.
I bought a replacement but decided to go for a Buttys Bits replacement so duly ordered and arrived a few days back.
Followed the instructions and all connected up:

Then mounted the pedal:

Then I needed to mount the spring to the arm that connects to the throttle cable but looks like someone had made their own stop thingy so nothing to mount it to :(

So - how to sort this out??

Also, I need a cable connecting thingy for the carb end as I don't have one !!
Maybe weld a small angle bracket on the side of the chassis for the spring?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 ·

Smelt fuel so ducked under the van it is dripping from the fuel pipe coming from the bottom of the fuel tank so took it out to have a look as no matter how tight I made it, fuel still dripped out :(

A pick of the filter with a notch in it that may be the cause - suggestions welcome!!

Looks like the pipe from this to the fuel filter may be a bit too big - measured 7.5mm ID while the pipe coming from the fuel tank is 6.5mm OD so will have to see if I can get smaller pipes.

Also, the spring that attaches to the throttle rod near where the cable attaches, the stop tab is in the way so I will not be able to connect the spring as I wanted - will probably have to use the same hole that the cable connects to.
Will struggle to drill a hole into the chassis due to not much room but will see (bloody cold this morning under the van!!).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
Doh - the washer is on the wrong side - should be on the nut side

641 - 660 of 689 Posts