Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
VW Beetle 1200 Jan '73 Marina Blue
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Struggling to find a right-hand heater channel in stock in the UK. Can you give me a steer?

csp-shop have them. Are these guys recommended? Is there any import/brexit tax to pay when importing from them?

thanks

·
Registered
August 67 Karmann cabrio beetle.
61 Posts
My experience with CSP has been excellent. I've had to pay duty once, but not every time, so best to assume you will and consider it a bonus if you don't. Luckily, I bought a lot of what I needed before the Brexit finalization date, so that helped, but I would use them again if needed.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
The threshold for paying VAT from the EU is £135 so you might just be OK.

I posted somewhere last week saying coolair website says they're getting channels end of November, but I just looked and it's been updated to end of January!
(That's >68 channels, they've got earlier ones in stock I think)

·
Premium Member
9,341 Posts
Probably better to wait until they come back in stock in the UK and spend the time doing the floorpans first.
I got my heater channels in a Black Friday deal, but they were lying around for months until I was ready to fit them.
If you can't wait or get stuck, the repair panels to replace Heater channel in sections, are available.
I have these, they are VENG panels, slightly thicker steel than the Klokkerholm version, never used and slight surface rust from long storage, but going cheap.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Knife Blade

A bit more trimming and welding to join them up, but with the advantage of being able to easily treat/paint the inside.
You would need to re-use the existing internal heater pipe, and get a bottom closing panel.
PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably better to wait until they come back in stock in the UK and spend the time doing the floorpans first.
Yeah I wondered that. But I think that RH '70-72 pans are also out of stock in UK..! (unless I've missed one somewhere). Thanks for the offer of the patches, but I think I'm committed to the rebuild now.

I'm under no illusion about getting any of these panels in for months. But even so, I'm getting a bit jittery about long term availability, given the lead times for new stock seem to be getting longer.

Total isn't too bad from CSP. Even if/when I get stung 20% VAT on arrival. Only looks a few quid more expensive overall that Heritage "Black Friday 20% off". And it's all in stock.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I'd no idea supply lines were that ruined. I'd have thought you could go and get them yourself for less than £450.

You could just use earlier channels? (If it were me in your boat I'd be considering buying some box section to make my own, but my car won't be 100% stock)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try Custom and Commercial 👍
Thanks, but RH 69+ heater channel not in stock anywhere as far as I can tell

I'd be considering buying some box section to make my own
This makes total sense to me. From my extensive 2 weeks' experience of owning a bug, I'm concluding that heater channels were the single most flawed concept in automotive history. If I was sure I'd own the bug for the rest of it's days then I would definitely delete them. But I don't really want to scare off the next weekend warrior who takes her on a few years down the line.

·
Registered
August 67 Karmann cabrio beetle.
61 Posts
I'm pretty sure the main/only difference between the pre and post 68 heater channels is the heater outlet. As you're replacing both, you could fit the earlier channels and leave them as is (remember to note this if ordering new carpets) or move the heater outlet (more work). If you're happy with either of those option, Heater Channel Including Closing Panel Right: Beetle 1947-1967. 111-801-046LA (alanhschofield.com) , or Beetle Heater Channel - 1955-67 - Right - Cool Air VW , or Heater Channel Including Closing Panel Right: 111801046LA | Heritage Parts Centre UK
All of those have both sides in stock, but I've only linked RH.

Otherwise, it looks like waiting until next year or a ferry crossing may be needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mad idea. BA return flight to Hamburg (next weekend) £222.

Oversized baggage conditions:

The maximum dimensions for an oversize bag in the hold are 190 x 75 x 65cm.

Bags larger than the standard size but within these maximum dimensions are known as out-of-gauge bags. They're accepted as part of your checked baggage allowance but must be checked in at the out-of-gauge bag drop at least 90 minutes before your flight to ensure they travel with you.

You don't need to let us know in advance that you’re bringing a larger bag or item, but you must get to the airport early to check it in.

I've bought so much back from the States this way over the years, when I've been out there working etc.

Floor pans/channels are around 175cm long, so well packed you should get away with it.

Even factoring in a cheap hotel you'd be better than CSP's revised shipping rates. And, if you could tolerate Ryanshit you could fly from Stansted for <£50 return, though I've no experience of their costs for oversized baggage.

On CSP, it's my one little peeve with them, great products but 'European' culture of customer service. Not the first time I've seen this attitude from them, in your example: "we underestimated your shipping so we've cancelled your order....", not a nice coms of acknowledging mistake, and giving you subsequent options.

Good luck with the hunt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts