Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Are you fitting the Maxxis Bighorn M/Ts? If so what size?
I've been looking at either the Maxxis WormDrive AT980E and Event ML698+ A/Ts for my 1988 caravelle in a 195/14 size.
The Maxxis worm drive AT's in 185/80x14's are on eBay for £349.99 a set.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185-80-1...809630?hash=item42231af09e:g:Gk8AAOSwhrRflX70

or the Maxxis Big Horn M/T's in 195 width are £354.95.......
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195-80-1...324553?hash=item3b32add909:g:~dEAAOSwIzBazMwY

Either should fit ok (I think :lol:) on stock wheels and should look good on a T25

I hadn't considered the Event ML's until you mentioned them as I'd never heard of them - online reviews are good and they are a fair bit cheaper too at £269 - might go for them.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185-14c-...416423&hash=item2d1e19ea20:g:Y7AAAOSwHYpaC~3J

edit: Event ML's are even cheaper at Camskill Tyres - Under £200 a set delivered!
https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=154905

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
I think going up to a 195 adds about 10mm height and should still fit a 5.5" rim OK.
I know a few farmers who run worm drives on their hilux pickups and apart from a bit more road noise they're nice and capable off road.
The Events at only £45 each are still pretty capable on wet grass but better on the road from the sound of it.
Big plus for me is camskill is only 1/2 hour drive away from me so i can collect, pay cash and get a discount. ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Treated the truck to some new tyres today:

£303 delivered which I didn't think was too bad. Should give the off road / swamper look I'm after. Plus I love tyres with white lettering :cool::lol:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What size did you eventually get?
I went for 195/80x14 Maxxis Worm Drives.
Originals were 185Rx14 Commercial tyres

According to a tyre size comparison website there isn't much difference in size:
185's are 25.7" tall, 7.3" wide
195's are 26.3" tall, 7.7" wide

Bit disappointed I couldn't get the new ones with white lettering but Maxxis don't do them any more.

Going to repaint the rims and hubcaps before fitting the new tyres but will get that done ASAP and chuck up a before and after picture.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
I went for 195/80x14 Maxxis Worm Drives.
Originals were 185Rx14 Commercial tyres

According to a tyre size comparison website there isn't much difference in size:
185's are 25.7" tall, 7.3" wide
195's are 26.3" tall, 7.7" wide

Bit disappointed I couldn't get the new ones with white lettering but Maxxis don't do them any more.

Going to repaint the rims and hubcaps before fitting the new tyres but will get that done ASAP and chuck up a before and after picture.
A white tyre pen and a couple of hours work will soon sort that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I had a bit of time today to get the new tyres fitted onto the T3 Doka.

Before:
Original spec from the German Fire Brigade was black steel wheels with 185R14 Bridgestone M&S tyres.

Still loads of tread on the tyres but I think they had been on there at least 12 years, possibly longer so well overdue to be changed.

I picked up a set of wheels last week on eBay so I could keep the originals as spares. They were a bit scabby but an hour or two with a wire brush, sandpaper and some anthracite paint changed all that:

Had them fitted at the local tyre shop….

The hubcaps have been left with a mate to be powder-coated black. I'll try them when they come back but for now I rather like the look of the steels without them on.
It actually drives nicely on these. A very small amount of tyre noise at low speed (under 30mph) but who cares as I think they look great!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Popped in to see my mate Alex at ADL Motors in Chertsey who had kindly sandblasted at least 5 coats of old paint from my old hubcaps.
Once stripped we had a play with his new powder coating machine.

Before, stripped and ready to go:

During:

After:

Also had a Digital Speedo from Slaughterhouse Customs fitted - great bit of kit and easy to install.:

Only little jobs, but they all add up and all make a difference.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Not done much to the firebus doka that you can see externally, but a few bits have been attended to.

Lights were swapped for RHD units - not sure how it kept passing MOT's with the original LHD headlights with stick on beam deflectors, but I decided with new lights and an uprarted loom and bulbs I'd see better at night. The difference was amazing!

I've also replaced the fuel lines, given the old girl a good service and added a 2nd spare wheel (mounted in the load bed)

I guess these things are worth keeping on top of as she's been a brilliantly reliable bus and today sailed though the MOT with no advisories :)

Just realised that means I've had this truck a whole year - a long time for me, I usually change my car about 3 times a year on average!

That said, I'm thinking of changing this one for another camper.
Either a splitty or older bay, or maybe another T25.

These two caught my eye at a recent show in Sussex:

Or something like this rather nice T25, built by my mate Bob at RestoHaus in Devon - he builds stuff like this to order if anyone wants one:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Now for sale - details [email protected]

21 - 40 of 40 Posts