Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK THE FIRST THING IS THAT WHEN I START IT UP IN THE MORNING IT DOESENT RUN VERY WELL, IT CHUGS (IF YOU GET ME) AND DOESENT REALLY REV PROPERLY, AND IT SLOWLY CHUGS FASTER THROUGH THE GEARS AND EVENTUALLY RUNS FINE AFTER A COUPLE OF MILES, ALSO IT SMELLS OF PETROL WHILE DOING THIS AND USES ALOT. BUT AFTER IT RUNS FINE.
THE SECOND PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I FILL IT UP WITH FUEL THE CAR STINKS OF IT FOR AGES. CANT REALLY PUT MORE THAN A 10ER IN COS IT RELLY REEKS. THANKS FOR THE HELP FOLKS.
THE BUG IS A 71 1300 SINGLEPORT IF THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Our Bug, Bertie, suffered horrendous fuel smells after filling up. Eventually we tracked it down to the seals on the main filler pipe - the ones on both ends of the large flexible section. We got a pair from VW Heritage, and the smell stopped.
Funny thing was, there wasn't any petrol actually leaking through them, just the smell. We were expecting it to be dribbling out. Just goes to show how a small gap can let through a big smell of fuel.

If it's not them, then it's most likely one of the breather hoses either not fitting well, or needing replacing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
my old bug was like that smelt bad of petrol after id filled up, all it was was the seal on the top of the tank, if you open the bonnet and look at the top of the tank there is like a filler cap looking bit which is bolted down and it was the seal under that had perished. be worth checking all the pipes thou just incase.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Needs a phat zorst ;)

the "filler thing with the screws" mentionedabove is the fuel sender.

Replace the fat filler hose and the thin breather hose and the pong will be gone.

Phat Zost'll help too.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the great replys people :D will get this sorted tonite now me thinks. it does need a phat exhaust M.I.B but that one is now going on my dads haha, check out my car in readers rides and you will see why :) proper pan scraper now. unless you think that itll still go on with a 2 spline drop?? what you think??
cheers, shane

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
None of my zorsts 'll go on that at 2 splines - unless you want an EMPI twin quiet pack and 4into1 manifold - you can scrape that til death for £30 if you want. The Phat boy and the cherry bomb'll never fit under there now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts