Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Here's my Westy - a couple of pics taken during a trip round Scotland last year... looks nice and shiny yes??? would you buy it unseen off Ebay (I didn't by the way)

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Water Vehicle

Well it's always passed it's MOT with no problems body work wise untill this year that is, i took it to Berkshire bugs and Ashley really knows his stuff down there.

It wasn't good news - failed on loads of structural stuff :( and worse news was they couldn't take on any resto work any time soon.

so no MOT, can't use the van this summer, can't take it to Glasto :(

but on the bright side, an opportunity to get it sorted properly and safely.

more to follow

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Beagle, no I needed someone who knew what they were doing! Step in Fletcher (Brothernumberone on VZi) Vw welding expert.... and the extent of the horror show is revealed :)

I wondered what this bulge was along the passenger side, I even rubbed it down (filler and more filler) and sprayed it myself...

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

lovely job on the repair patch

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

apparantly came off without needing the grinder

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Banned
4,423 Posts
thats a common problem shiney paint rose tinited glasses , but it happens to us all , your right to get it done then you can go camping in style , good luck keep up the good work owen nw :group:

·
Registered
225 Posts
why the hell would people use chicken wire and ex foam:confused:
good luck with it dude:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine didn't have that many bad repairs-they just didn't bother repairing it at all!
good luck-keep posting:)
"they just didn't bother repairing it at all!" LOL I wish they'd done that with mine, I probably would have got it fixed up before driving it to Portugal and back if I'd known half the chassis was made of chicken wire!!!

Have decided to lose the spare wheel box on the front and go for a standard look - I was never that keen on the "Jimmy Hill" conversion anyway.... I'll stick the fibreglass box up for sale when I get it back - they must be pretty rare

I'll need a new front bumper as well - painted or stainless steel? what do you reckon?-

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a whle since the last post, I was at Glasto and took a bit of time to recover

Here's a couple more of the rot... the windscreen seems to have been taken out at some point and stuck back in with gaffer tape :eek:

Plant Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Hood

Hopefully have some of the rebuild soon

·
Banned
4,423 Posts
i welded the sill and side paenl on a t4 last week some one had used a pair of ladies nickers to fill a hole then fibre glased over it , that was a first for me , and they were nt nice ones lol owen nw :lol:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all

Sorry, been very slack about keeping this thread up to date!
Heres' some photos of the Chassis going back together

Nice to see all that metal under there - and no expanding foam or chicken wire in sight!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And here's the side windows out, loads of rust around the bottoms...

I put that filler in there a couple of years ago to stop the kids cutting themselves on the rust that had come through to the inside

All cleaned up and new metal welded in...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.