Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again everyone,

should my accelerator cable be taught or slack?
my cable is currently quite slack and takes a while to return to idle.
Also the throttle fails to return to the lowest notch of the thingy that i think controls the butterfly valve for idle speed, would the slack cable be causing this?

sorry for the rather vague descriptions, but i'm not too familiar with carb parts.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
if the carb is not returning to idle fully the cable will go a bit slack.best clean and lubricate the spindles and moving parts on the idle step plate with oil not WD40, also check the condition of the throttle return spring as they do rust and go weak.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
I've got a new 2nd hand (used once to crank an engine then the flywheel sheared off) Weber 32/36 on my bay and even that's got a massive return spring fitted to help it return.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think you're right. the clamp screw has sheared off which is a bit of a problem. Can i get a new throttle assembly thing without buying a new carb?
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
The clamp screw in the Accelerator cable barrel should be a tiny grub screw which hides inside the barrel. The assembly is sometimes called a "solderless nipple" . You can get them from Mountain bike shops. or ask Heritage for a 311 129 777, £0. 99.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, thanks but as i said earlier, the little grub screw has sheared. Therefore i cant get the solderless nipple off. What do i do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts