Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm after speaking to Busboys and then Wolfgang International in California about the IRS brackets they said there I was told there was surprisingly no bolt on bracket for the Beetle unlike the bus for the A-frame!

What they seemed to be saying, if I understand this right, is that the IRS brackets that are on the market push the geometry out so that this causes problems with the toe in. Is this correct?

I suggested that the conversion could be achieved better with larger engine mounting plate standing 10mm taller to eliminate removing gearbox horn material under the gearbox flanges?

Has anyone already done this conversion and written it up as blog or website please

Max

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Dude someone posted you a link for the conversion not long ago!
This conversion has been successful for many dubbers.

If you raise the tranny too much you get into trouble at the other end becuase the engine will be lifted and so will the exhaust. Although rasing 2/3mm might be possible

If i were to do the conversion again i would cut out some material around where the gearbox flanges are and let in some some a pipe or similar, rather that using a big hammer and heat.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
What he said.

Kingfisher Kustoms used to have a jig that bolted onto the spring plate cover holes. They then bolted the brackets on and welded them. After which, they removed the jig. No guesswork.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where was the link m8 please?

Also the engine raising height is no problem as its all on a beach buggy.

The bracket do king fisher customs still have it? don't have their website link?

Max

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks mucky green , but they are in Birmingham and I am in the SE of England. Is this any different than bolting on the a-frames and welding

Would have much prefered a bolt on solution

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
dude read the how to on the other thread! it was posted on your request and you even said thanks for the link!!!!!

They have to be cut in, welded in exactly the right position and welding has to be top notch. i wasn't confident enough to do it so i paid Mattp off here to do it for me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.