Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i dont know why but i literally cannot get to sleep tonight so to pass the time i thought id add up all the receipts for the restoration of my 68 1500 beetle. ive always been curious as to how much it actually cost me and now i know :eek: lol. anyway maybe someone somewhere might find this interesting or maybe even useful. i've broken it up into some main categories.

here goes. it was a pretty thorough restoration so it all adds up!

buying the car: £100
defo a bargain because even though it was rusty as, the floorpan was good and the 1500 engine and gearbox were both really good too. (the engine and gearbox were the actual reason i bought it, restoring it was an after thought :lol:)

repair panels: £328
it needed new heater channels and lots of others around the bottom of the shell, floor pan was good though.

paint: £416
bare metal respray of the shell and floor pan which were separated, so loads of primer, etch primer, stone chip, as well as the colour

parts: £1292
loads of stuff here, it had a new brake system throughout except the calipers which were rebuilt. all new suspension components, battery, silencer, heat exchangers, overpriced rubber grommets like the one of the front of the gearbox, window rubbers etc, basically everything mechanical that wears and anything else i felt like. this also includes parts ive bought for it over the last three years since i finished it as well.

engine rebuild: £450
new barrels and pistons, oil pump, valves, clutch, clutch release bearing while i was there, bearings throughout, some other stuff and new valve guides so had to pay someone to do that bit!

tyres: £155

lpg conversion: £1010
although based on the mileage we reckon this paid for its self about 6 months ago. and besides my dad paid for that when he started using it for work ;)

so without the lpg the grand total comes to £2741 :eek: (i wondered where all my wages went during college) but which is probably about what i expected, although theres probably stuff thats got missed out, not to mention wire brushes and welding gas and other disposable tools which must be at least another 100. but i did all the work myself really, the only labour paid for in there is in with the lpg conversion, the tyre fitting and the work on the cylinder heads during the engine rebuild

so that seems like a lot to spend considering the car was only 100 quid but on the other hand it is 100% rust free and due to the amount of rust protection and meticulous cleaning i give it it should stay that way. it gets used every day by either me or my dad who uses it for work while im at uni so it gets a lot of use and it has never let us down except for once when a cheap 009 packed in when my dad was driving it. so it was a lot of work (and money :lol:) but its nice to have a beetle now that doesnt have some ancient part packing in every week and can just be driven long distances reliably. its driven me and friends to and from belgium twice and as far as slovenia this summer during a 2500 mile road trip through europe.

i think it was worth it in the end :D and if youve got this far through this epic post then heres a photo of it at a lake in slovenia. maybe now i can get to sleep!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Suprised we haven't seen more ''How much money have you spent?'' threads.

I lost count when I got to a figure that made me realise I could originally have bought something decent :incheek:

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Suprised we haven't seen more ''How much money have you spent?'' threads.

I lost count when I got to a figure that made me realise I could originally have bought something decent :incheek:
same, i roughly clocked it up to close to £2k (including tools) after about 4 months of buying it, that was almost a year ago :lol:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got any pics/info on your lpg conversion ?
yeah i'll post some up in a bit, infact im just about to go collect my bay from being converted :D. i must admit my parents paid for this again as they are going to start using my bay after recently selling their mazda bongo :lol:

so is anyone else brave enough to add up their folder of doom lol

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
im in the same boat - i dont want to add everything up as its going to be silly

rollcage and chassis rebuild £1800
wheels and tyres £900
interior £800
keeping the grand total away from your girlfriend £priceless

but its so worth it

and im just about to go fast and it doesnt scare me half as much as doing the whole resto :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I started a spreadsheet when i bought the car listing everything I had to buy and cost, everything i had already bought and the cash I got from selling parts I no longer need, quick calculation and you get overall cost - part of me is glad i did, part of me wishes I hadn't.

I've counted everything, right down to the cost of nuts and bolts, plus courier and postage charges, heat lamps, POR15, seals, grommets etc etc etc.

There's currently 93 individual purchases on the list (including the car in the first place, full package of Fuchs, tyres and porsche pattern brakes counts as one purchase, 1776 engine another....! ) and i'm currently heading to spending almost 5 times what I originally paid for the car!

BeefyKeefy is right, the cash could have easily bought me something already 'sorted' especially in the current market - but I figure the satisfaction of having done a lot of it myself and having exactly the car i want will make it worth it. :D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I paid £1200 for mine and I have spent about the £600 already on various parts plus tools etc. I just put an order for $500 in with CIP yesterday and I have to buy the heater channels at the weekend.

I have a long way to go still.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I started a spreadsheet when i bought the car listing everything I had to buy and cost, everything i had already bought and the cash I got from selling parts I no longer need, quick calculation and you get overall cost - part of me is glad i did, part of me wishes I hadn't.

I've counted everything, right down to the cost of nuts and bolts, plus courier and postage charges, heat lamps, POR15, seals, grommets etc etc etc.

There's currently 93 individual purchases on the list (including the car in the first place, full package of Fuchs, tyres and porsche pattern brakes counts as one purchase, 1776 engine another....! ) and i'm currently heading to spending almost 5 times what I originally paid for the car!

BeefyKeefy is right, the cash could have easily bought me something already 'sorted' especially in the current market - but I figure the satisfaction of having done a lot of it myself and having exactly the car i want will make it worth it. :D
Brother Love - SNAP! I did the same and when I saw the total, I binned the spreadsheet and have tried to erase all memory of the outlay from my mind ;)

Yes, I could have bought something 'sorted' but you kinda get blinkered and sucked into the whole resto process - before you know it, you've spent a small fortune! I also think you get (stupidly) attached to these old cars and feel they deserve a second chance.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Same here keeping a running tally of my bug costs too, but then given that once its done am selling it (long story) i dont want to give it away.But the total figure isnt too bad but then i am doing everything myself baremetalling it, all panels replaced(pans heater channels front rear quarters etc) paint etc keeps costs down but its a lot of hard graft.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Brother Love - SNAP! I did the same and when I saw the total, I binned the spreadsheet and have tried to erase all memory of the outlay from my mind ;)

Yes, I could have bought something 'sorted' but you kinda get blinkered and sucked into the whole resto process - before you know it, you've spent a small fortune! I also think you get (stupidly) attached to these old cars and feel they deserve a second chance.
I never knew i would be such a perfectionist in the whole process - my original plan was a quick fix-up and run it, but like you it's turned into full body off with detailed chassis, then there's full paint, leather interior, perfect wheels, powder coated everything..... etc.

My plans to clean up the original 1300 engine have now been binned, that became a ready build 1776, that then got stripped and morphed into a 1904 with the best of kit.

On the plus side i've wanted to do this for more than 10 years, and I'll never sell it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and i'm currently heading to spending almost 5 times what I originally paid for the car!
mine works out at 27 times what i paid for the car :lol:

heres some info on the lpg miggyman. theyve changed the design since i had my beetle done. there is a vapouriser which is basically the equivalent of a carb, it is heated by engine oil to help vapourise the gas so you'll need one of those full flow adaptors (or a proper full flowed engine). the vapouriser doesnt even need the mixture setting or anything on this new design it just detects the amount of vacuum apparantly, you can see where the lpg goes in between the carb and air filter.

this little switch switches over between gas and petrol

you can have the tank wherever you want really there are lots of sizes.

i can take a picture of the tank in my beetle when my dad gets back from work if that would be more use to you? it sits in the luggage space behind the back seat and basically takes up all the room there.

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Please, im quite keen to see how the tank fits in a beetle, at some point down the line i want to get mine on lpg (once it's.. y'know... running and stuff!), i'll probably end up with an injection system over the vapouriser system since i also want to setup an injected engine (in fact that would be on the list before lpg)!

But... stil a way off :p

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that would be awesome, im not sure where youd get the heat from if you were using fuel injection but its probably possible to get a little heat exchanger that runs off oil that isnt all built in with the vapouriser. would probably end up costing more like 1600-2000 pounds though as it would be more like the lpg set up in a modern car. the aircooled kits are comparatively cheap because theyre so simple in design and so easy to install. i'll get a photo of the tank and the filler on my beetle later. the filler as you'll see is just bolted to the underneath of the back bumper.
defo worth it in my opinion, we now get the equivalent of 65mpg with petrol!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=464125

i posted quite a few photos of the resto in this thread a while ago, i just noticed while loooking back through it that i claimed to have totalled up the receipts before. however that was done just as i got it MOTed for the first time and was more of an estimate having flicked through the receipts and fell a bit short of the real total :lol: last night i went through EVERY receipt and added them up on a calculator and everything!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts