Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm goingto buy some additional storage (already have 120GB) and have two options:

1 - buy an internal hard drive
2 - buy an external one

So who has what and what would you recommend?

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
internal saves a power socket
external means you can use the case for other drives too, handy for backing up other pcs etc.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2016
11,485 Posts
I have a external 250gb MyBook, extremely easy to set up - just plug it in and format it to NTFS then away you go. They can be picked up for good money too :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tyzer said:
I have a external 250gb MyBook, extremely easy to set up - just plug it in and format it to NTFS then away you go. They can be picked up for good money too :)
that's what I've been looking at :)

Spiny - old habits die hard, sticking another one in has always been the way but there seem to be better and more external options around, even if only USB 2.0.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2016
11,485 Posts
ExiledWool said:
that's what I've been looking at :)

Spiny - old habits die hard, sticking another one in has always been the way but there seem to be better and more external options around, even if only USB 2.0.
If you're worried about transfer speeds then don't be, it's very fast at reading and writing :D

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'd reccomend an external one - mainly cos that's what i've got, and i means i can move it from PC to laptop, and to my folks PC and stuff, easily :)

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
I've got an external 250g Seagate drive. It's USB and literally is just plug and play.

Only problem is, if you leave it alone, it goes to sleep - power ssaving I guess - and takes a second to wake up again.

Never been a big problem though :)

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
Same as Matty, the idea of an external drive means if I chose, I can pop the drive in my bag, and load up elsewhere. I bought mine frome Tesco; made by Phillips, competitively priced; cheaper than PC world, anyway.. I dodn't have the patience to shop around though, or even order online...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
yeah, mine;s a western digital (i think) only 80GB, but is enough for all my pictures and music (at the moment) cos there's no programmes stored on it, and the transfer speeds are damn quick, and it;s easily transportable :) i guess internal drives are a lot cheaper tho?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I must admit the portability aspect of external is tugging at me but the die hard says internal........

Tough decision

And what's PC World then ;)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Depends what you use it for? You haven't said. Do you need the portability? Or is it just storage space.

My solution was to fit my drives into caddys, and have an external drive housing with an identical caddy in. My older smaller drive sits in the external housing for backup of important stuff, or moving stuff between PC's, and if I really need to, I can swap a main internal drive into it for taking it elsewhere (should I feel the need). Makes upgrading a doddle too - shutdown PC, pull caddy, switch drives, put caddy back in, sorted! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just dig another old PC out of storage and stick four massive IDD Drives in it...Then put it beside the rest of the farm.

*n

·
Registered
224 Posts
we've got an external My Book it's fab, & it means that when we go away we can back up everything & stick it in the loft so if we were burgled we haven't lost all our work etc (as they're sure to take the PC!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts