Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, after a friend of mine was kind enough to narrow my beam for me, I set about bolting it back onto the car today. The car is now running an adjustable 2 inch narrowed beam with dropped spindles. Everything went fine and I've now lost the width, allowing me to turn my front wheels.

I've gone from this....

To this:

There is enough clearance to turn the wheels, but I'm thinking if I have any more than just myself in the car its going to rub as you can see.....

So I set about winding the adjusters up a bit, only prob being I can't seem to raise the adjusters up more than about a third of the way....

Anyone have any ideas why this is? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Ben :hangloose

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
take the weight off the wheels and therefore the adjusters.. by using a trolley jack...

if that doesnt work... check shocks...

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunc,I already tried it with it jacked up. I hadnt even put the shocks back on when I was trying to adjust it so its not as if they were restricting its movement in any way! I'm really stumped for ideas!! :(

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
have you greased it?...

if its jacked up fully with the adjusters loose they should go all the way to the top... down with them loose should go to the bottom...

you dont necessarily want that... you just need to take the weight off so you can set the adjusters where you want them and try it back down with the weight back on the wheels.... repeat until desired ride height is acheived...

if its not that, and the adjusters moved all the way when you put it back together, and its not the shocks...

id say it was a beam problem.. take it apart again and have a good look... did you have to hit the torsion arms hard to get them in?!..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Benjy, I've just lowered my Bay beam and noticed that the inner collar is really tight. I suggest you jack up the car and spray Fospro or similar into the collar then remove a wheel and jump on the torsion arm/hub. That should shift it, not sure how much you need to move it but on a Bay 5mm at adjuster equals 1" at wheel.
Good luck.

Regards, si

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
qwan said:
have you greased it?...

if its jacked up fully with the adjusters loose they should go all the way to the top... down with them loose should go to the bottom...

you dont necessarily want that... you just need to take the weight off so you can set the adjusters where you want them and try it back down with the weight back on the wheels.... repeat until desired ride height is acheived...

if its not that, and the adjusters moved all the way when you put it back together, and its not the shocks...

id say it was a beam problem.. take it apart again and have a good look... did you have to hit the torsion arms hard to get them in?!..
I havent greased the beam since it was originally greased last year. I know its been chopped and put back together since then but there still seems to be a fair amount of grease in there!

I've been out fiddling around for an hour or so and I've now got the adjusters to go up about half way which I'm hoping will be enought oachieve the height I'm after! I'll update with some pictures a little later on!

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Does it look like the long tie/track rod is resting on top of the frame head when the front end is raised off the floor with wheels/tyres are removed? :)

I discovered this when adjusting mine recently, and it took me ages to realise that it was the long track rod resting on top of the framehead that was stopping the Puma adjusters from being set at their "max. height" position.... :eek: :lol:

(Just out of curiousity, what spec. of front tyres are you using?)

Hope this helps :D

All the best :hangloose,
Martin.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If none of the above work.
Try undoing one of the ball joints on each side, and then try each adjuster seperatly.
This way you will see which torsion is causing the problem.
All the best Paulus.

(this is with the weight off and jacked up) health and saftey and all that. ;)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tourist said:
Does it look like the long tie/track rod is resting on top of the frame head when the front end is raised off the floor with wheels/tyres are removed? :)

I discovered this when adjusting mine recently, and it took me ages to realise that it was the long track rod resting on top of the framehead that was stopping the Puma adjusters from being set at their "max. height" position.... :eek: :lol:

(Just out of curiousity, what spec. of front tyres are you using?)

Hope this helps :D

All the best :hangloose,
Martin.
oooooooh.......I haven't actually checked but I remember when I assembled it all up thinking how close to the framehead it was! I'll def have a check tomorrow! Paulus, thanks also for your reply! Your theory may well be put to the test if all the above fail to work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts