Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its on my 74 beetle 1200,the beam was already on it when i bought it,i cant see any names other than whats on the shockers which is bugpack,there are 2 adjusters 1 at to & 1 at bottom......if thats any help.....thanks

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
What type of adjusters are they? Basically the one that is horizontal to the trailing arms needs to be moved upwards to raise.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
OK, if the adjusters are in the centre of the front suspension beam, and consist of a welded steel bracket, an aluminium block, and allen grubscrews with locking nuts, they are the "Sway-away" type, so proceed as follows:
Jack up the front of the car & support on axle stands under the suspension beam, allowing the wheels to drop, (disconnect the shocker from the bottom trailing arm to allow it to drop as far as it will go), to completely unload the torsion bars.
Slacken the locking nuts on the centre grubscrews.
Now screw-in the adjuster screws the same amount on both top & bottom torsion bars. (The adjuster screw is the longer one which pushes the aluminium block up).
Lower the car to the ground to see the result of your adjustment, and when you are happy, tighten up the locknuts and refit shock absorbers.
If previous owner used "lowered" shock absorbers, they may not have enough travel for your new height setting, so check that nothing is bottoming-out by bouncing the car a bit before you drive it.
Hope that helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.