Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long post.

Got a problem with my connection :( ... A lack of it.

To cut a long story short, Ive had on and off problems with my Netgear DG814 router for months (confirmed its the router by letting a friend use it on their line and they had issues too)

Anyway, a couple of days ago it stops completely. So I go and grab a new one (Linksys AG421 , usual (wired only) four port affair)

Still no signal , despite setting it the way Orange recommends. After a lot of struggling it eventually works for an hour or two last night so i turn it off when i have finished for the evening.

Been with them since they started on Dial up back in the freeserve days too.

Now its not working today :( .. DSL light comes on after a few seconds (as you would expect) but the internet connected light does not...

Yes the username / password is correct ;) and I have tried everything I can think of (installed new microfilter and new cables, everything is new and i have tried it into the internal diag socket on the BT master socket too)

My internal network functions (as expected)

Here are orange`s recommended settings...
DNS

Domain name service is dynamic - but if domain name server (DNS) addresses are required, you should use:

195.92.195.94 and 195.92.195.95

Router settings

If you choose to use an Ethernet modem / router, the correct connection settings are:

Encapsulation: PPP over ATM

Multiplexing method: VC-Based

Virtual circuit: VPI=0 VCI=38

Modulation: Multi mode

Authentication: CHAP

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) 1492
And here are some of my settings
DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 7168 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 192 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 17 db
Upstream Margin: 7 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 16
Upstream Line Attenuation: 8
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
QoS: UBR
PCR Rate: 0
SCR Rate: 0
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Enable: Yes
PVC Status: Applied

Login Type: PPPoA
Interface: DOWN
WAN IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS 1: 195.92.195.94
DNS 2: 195.92.195.95
DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
WINS: 0.0.0.0
In case you are wondering , i`m using a pay per minute dial up to post this :(

Any ideas / suggestions / help please :D .. Perhaps I have over-looked something ?

Il have to check this thread later today though as its costing to be connected like this (and unbelievably slow)

·
Registered
563 Posts
best thing to do is get yourself some registry cleaning software.

uninstall your drivers for all routers

reboot

if you're using XP afetr the reboot clcik start then right click on my computer and click properties.

Click hardware tab then clcik device manager clcik action then scan for hardware changes

this will reset all things in device manager to what they should be.

reboot

when booted up again reconnect your modem/router and go through the installation process

reboot

if ou still have problems try with a usb modem to make sure it's not a line fault.

if still prblems repost here or pm me and I'll help you further

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
best thing to do is get yourself some registry cleaning software.

uninstall your drivers for all routers

reboot

if you're using XP afetr the reboot clcik start then right click on my computer and click properties.

Click hardware tab then clcik device manager clcik action then scan for hardware changes

this will reset all things in device manager to what they should be.

reboot

when booted up again reconnect your modem/router and go through the installation process

reboot

if ou still have problems try with a usb modem to make sure it's not a line fault.

if still prblems repost here or pm me and I'll help you further
the router not connecting is nothing to do with any pc connected to it :)

y_s: the stats on your router show that it has happily sync'd at 8meg, so it's got to be a problem at orange i'm afraid :/

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
y_s: the stats on your router show that it has happily sync'd at 8meg, so it's got to be a problem at orange i'm afraid :/
Thanks Phil.

I did mean to add into my first post, I had some strange DNS issue a few days ago (nothing would work unless i entered into the browser or pinged by IP only, not the domain name) , however this went away.

Shame really as Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve have not caused me any problems ever so far up until this :(

Looks like I can enjoy a nice long call at an expensive rate to a (probably off shore) call centre then and be patronized as well :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.