Volkszone Forum banner

Advice on toilet training our new puppy!!

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  emerald 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Got our new puppy yesterday, snoopy, a shitsu. Need some advice on toilet training as we're first time dog owners!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

See less See more
#7 ·
Never had one of these dogs but I have a boxer and a jackrussell and they were both clean in next to know time with the following method.

When they do something in the house gently push their nose into it and very lightly tap em on the nose and say firmly no. then put them out side and say firmly wee wee.

At first they will sit around in the yard and do nothing but the minuite they do something in the yard you make the biggest fuss of them. takes a few weeks but works a treat.

Apparently the most sensative part of a dog is the nose. They soon learn that gettting a tap on the nose even gently is not nice but doing it out side is great.

Simple but effective. Trust me I have a jackrussell which are renowned for being bad to train.

Good luck

#9 ·
yep totally untrainable the puppy pads do work to a degree just place those down where you want them to go and gradually move it towards the door.

tell em off if you see it doing anything inside and take them immediately outside then praise them.

They are too posh to go out in rain or wind though;)

#11 ·
that sounds cracking idea, wehave him in the hallway cause we didnt want him in the dining room or kitchen, although the conservatory good during the day. Have put up a child gate halfway down the hall, put paper everywhere with ONE of those pads...weed everywhere but the pad!!!

#12 ·
use aa cage to keep him/her in one place especialy at night,shouldnt soil its own bed ,then first thing in morning pick him up straight out and loads of praise and one word specific comand when result goood luck!!

#15 ·
I have bread my english bull terrier before, i know they ar very different dogs, but if you can train a bully do it, then you can train anything!!!!
You can now buy spacial dog training mats now (from pet shop)which has a scant on them to encourage them to pee and poo on them. You then slowly move them nearer the door, and eventually into the garden. News paper does work in this way too. You can also buy the scent in a bottle (only dogs can smell it) similar to the toilet mats, and dot it onto the news paper. If you register your dog with a good vet they should give you a puppy welcome pack with all of this information in it, and a sample of the training mats.
Hope this can be of help.
The dog is fantastic, i've always wanted one of these at least you can cuddle them without getting squashed. Here is a pic of my two muts.
Goodluck with the puppy.

#16 ·
STOP!!!

Sorry - I wanted to make sure I got your attention :)

Please - whatever you do - do not - and I repeat - do not rub that puppies nose in any mess he makes inside the house.

To do so is total abuse and will lead to you having a dog who will NOT toilet in front of you no matter how long you stand out in the garden on freezing cold nights, giving him the command to go.

All you will teach him if you abuse him in this way is to be frightened.

Yep - thats strongly worded isn't it? But it's imperative that you do not do it. It may have been done years and years ago but we've moved on in both child psychology and canine psychology since then.

Please - never ever do it.

Give me 2 minutes whilst I shove dinner on a plate for hubby and I'll be back with the simple and kind way to house train your new pup :)

#17 ·
sorry yellow camper man but i agree with my-shops there, the pup could easily inhale the 'mess' up it nose and get sticky lungs and then possibly die as a concequence (sp?). and as said it will never go in front of you if its afraid. it may have worked for you but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone, ever!!

just cover a large area in newspaper then reduce and move towards the door over the next couple of weeks then put the paper outside the door then bury it in the garden in the place you would like the dog to go toilet. by the way make sure you leave a piece on wee'd on paper down every time so the scent is still there and bury a soaked bit in the garden but no poo as they dont usually go in the same place twice.

nykxx

#18 ·
You're going to have to scroll across to read this cos the piccy of the lovely bullies is stretching the page a bit.

The rule of any training (including house training) for your pup is to ignore any behaviour that you do not want repeated and to reward the behaviour that you DO want repeated.

So, following that theory - if your pup toilets in the wrong place you have to ignore it. Ignoring means not reacting in any way - no shouting, no speaking, no tutting, no glaring, no swearing, no waving of hands in exasperation - it means no reaction at all other than to clean the mess and carry on with what you were doing before. If your pup toilets inside the house it is YOUR FAULT for not watching closely enough. Your pup is a baby and he needs to be TAUGHT where it is appropriate to toilet.

You should take the pup outside immediately after he wakes up, after every drink and after every meal. He also needs to go outside after every bout of play. In effect, you need to take him outside to your designated spot in the garden about every half hour to an hour.

Choose a word that you can use as a 'trigger' word. I use 'hurry up' (well thats two words but never mind :rolleyes:) and I say 'hurry up' whilst standing with my arms crossed. The arms crossed and the trigger words are my signals to the pup that I'm waiting for him to do something.

At first, the pup will have no clue what they are expected to do or why you're standing there like a plank saying 'hurry up' but at some point, being a pup, the need to go will arise and they will wee or poo :D At the very second they are about to finish, you crouch down and open your arms and smile madly and make loads of happy fussy noises and tell him he's a goooooooooood boyyyyyyy. (Fuck what the neighbours think of your strange behaviour - this works) :moon: You can also, at this exact point, shove a little food treat (a tiny bit of cheese, ham or something else really special) into his mouth. (You will need the treat waiting in your pocket so you can give it him immediately after he's 'been').

Repeat.

A lot.

At some point, the pup will cotton on that if he toilets inside the house, nothing at all happens - BUT - if he toilets outside, he gets massive fusses and a tasty treat.

Most puppies learn very very quickly to save their pees and poos for outside because they are just like human kids - they adore praise and treats.

It's really important that you understand that to a dog, a reward is not just a treat or praise. To a dog, a reward is also being looked at, being touched, being shouted at etc. So, going back to any indoor accidents - if you do ANYTHING other than ignore the error, you are in fact rewarding the dog, even if its a negative thing like being glared at or shouted at. You need to save your rewards (which of course will be positive ones) for whenever he goes in the right place.

You can use some newspaper spread around the house too. Not to train him to use it but just so that when he does have an accident (which he will because he's a baby and you can't watch him for every single second), if he happens to do it on the paper, you can take that soiled paper outside to the garden and put it in your designated toileting area and when you take him outside, pop him down on the paper and he will smell the scent of what he did before. This may well help him work out why you're standing there with your arms crossed :)

Sorry for screaching in my previous post but when I see someone being told to rub a dogs nose in it, it really gets my goat. I'm sure the person meant no harm but harm is exactly what would occur.

Hopefully some of the other people involved in animals/welfare/vet nurses will post here to tell you that what I've said is correct (in case you just think I'm some mad woman!).

If it's any consolation, I'm doing this exact training programme with my own puppy and she's learning very quickly.

Best of luck!

#19 ·
Just a quick one, my shih tzu pups eat there own poo on more than a regular basis. There is never generally anything left around but obviously what with work and at bed time they do mess, but then sometimes i just a dirty patch where there was once was poo. MMM nice. Mine did very quickly learn to go on the paper and very rarely go anywhere else, they are really slowly learning to go outside and i'm sure in time they will get the hang of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.