Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......going down tomorrow to pick the best plot out of the three :D

can't wait till spring............but there's a hard winters' work first :)

fresh fruit and veg all the way :hangloose

G

·
We grows stuff in our garden by the house : beans, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, fennel, radishes and spinach this year.

We also have chives, rosemary, sage, and mint in the borders.

We've converted dorm privet hedge into redcurrents and blackcurrents.

Oh, and plantes a hazel for some nuts...

Amazing what you can do just at home.!!!

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HairyYeti said:
We grows stuff in our garden by the house : beans, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, fennel, radishes and spinach this year.

We also have chives, rosemary, sage, and mint in the borders.

We've converted dorm privet hedge into redcurrents and blackcurrents.

Oh, and plantes a hazel for some nuts...

Amazing what you can do just at home.!!!
sounds great...... :)

anyways, can't talk now..........gardeners world is on :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
And they're dirt cheap.....20 quid a year for some (i hire um out).

Build a big shed on it and park yer dub in it!!

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Well done at getting the allotment - stops them being turned into more housing land.

Our next door neighbours have two and their garden as Hairy Yeti - we live off their vegetables, freshly dug potatoes yummy - err they give them to us.

And they live off our wine. fair exchange!!!

G

·
I'd like a little shed but the wife won't let me. :(

Nothing like pulling things out of the garden 'fresh' for the pan.!

The only down-side is the slugs - 'orrible little things.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
wilkybarkid said:
Well I would have had spinach, swede, carrots, potatoes and some herbs if the chickens hadn't got out an massacred them! D'oh..
ooo deff some herbs :)

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
76 said:
Where you getting your allotment Passatman? Quite fancy one myself!
down behind heysham high school...............just talked to the guy and there are 73 people on the list :eek:

anyways.......went down at 2 o' clock........checked it out, there's a handbuilt shed/greenhouse built for someone who's 4' tall, but it's full of tomatoes :D ......loads of raspberry canes and strawberry plants....and the compost bins are nearly full :)

there are new paths and roadways, and new toilet blocks are soon to be built.......they got some lottery money for disabled facilities so it's really coming on.........still full of nice old chaps though.

hitting it with the rotavator next weekend, then dividing it in to 6 with paving slabs as walkways........luckily the father in law is a landscape gardner and has loads of stuff :)

gonna nip down within the hour for a proper ratch around.........

......and contemplate how i'm gonna find the £29 a year :D

G

·
Rotavator is a very good idea.

I about broke my back digging my sisters allotment a couple of years ago. Did it the hard way - with a spade.!!

I planted some Jerusalem Artichokes in 'my' patch - amazing things - grow about 8 foot tall. Makes a nice soup. I'll have to get some for the garden next year. :)

Round our way Allotments are like Gold Dust. They've set-up a new patch of them with @36 plots on a bit of spare land.

Your better off having a big Allotment sized garden though. Means you don't have to go far and you can also keep an eye on things at night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts