Volkszone Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Right, popped down briefly to look at the car the other day and a bit more progress has been made, wahoo! :)

In the seven years I've owned the car the drivers dorr has never shut properly due to the base of the door pillar being rotten as a a pear and bodged up beyond believe. It was nice to turn up and see my spanking new Hookey's pillar in place and looking solid as a rock. Was even more satisfying when I swang the door shut and a nice firm clonk noise was made! :D

I'd imagine the passenger door pillar is in place by now to. I'll get some piccies up here as soon as I can! :)

The rear quarter section on the offside has also been cut out and was being let in when I popped in 4/5days ago to. It's all starting to look quite solid and like an actual car again which is cool!!

More to come soon boys and girls!! ;)

Ben :hangloose

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Oh, and Mr Last Triumph, I haven't forgotten to look at that front bulkhead panel for you. I was in such a rush I didn't have time to have a good inspection! I'll get back to you asap tho! ;)

Ben :D

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm with you Jon!! When I got these through the post I was so suprised at what an awesome piece of kit they were! Good value for the money to for what they are! And the fit was peeeeeeerfect! :D

Jon, what the hell are you doing on VZi at 4.53am?!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Ben, this is looking fantastic! You must be so excited at the progress every time you get down there! :hangloose

P.S. Keep posting loads of pics of the repairs, shows me how they "Should" look!" ;)

:hangloose

Steve

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hey Steve! :)

Nice to hear from you! How's it going these days?!

It's nice to hear some kind words from people about the car.
If I'm honest I'd much rather be doing the resto myself as you are! I'm sure it'd be a lot more rewarding but at the end of the day it's just not possible for me to do right now!

It really is exciting going down every few days and seeing the progress! Plus I know the cars in very good hands and hopefully it'll never need any major resto work for the forseeable future! (fingers crossed! ;) )

I'll try and keep as many pictures coming as possible! Just been down and taken a load but for some reason most of them have come out all blury!
I've just managed to break my finger badly in a surfing accident and can't work so I'll have loads of time to pop down and take more photo's for ppl's viewing pleasure! :D

Make sure you keep your thread updated! I'm always popping on to see your progress :)

Take it easy dude!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
A few more updates for you all!! Looks as though the metal work should all be finished this week some time! :D

One of the rear inner wheel arch sections has been all sorted! All the 6/7layers of crappy old MOT plates have been removed and a nice fresh section of decent metal has been let it in and seam sealed up nicely!:

The opposite inner wheel arch is still receiving some attention. Like the other side a lot of crappy old MOT plates are still being removed! The stupid thing is the rusty metal underneath really isn't that bad, it's just been bodged up to a shitty standard! :

The rear quarter has been replaced at some point in the past and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of decay so it'll be staying where it is. The inner wheel arch is also looking quite a bit cleaner now! :

As already shown, the complete Hookey door pillar section has been used on the offside of the car. The passenger side isn't as bad so only the outer section needs to be replaced:

That's all for now folks! ;)

I've got five books of colour charts to look through over the next few days so hopefully soon the shade of orange should be decided!

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Holy crap they work fast:D

What's the plan for it then, after the metal's all sorted?

Painting it straight away?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Jonofdoom said:
Holy crap they work fast:D

What's the plan for it then, after the metal's all sorted?

Painting it straight away?
Yeah they are working pretty fast on it I must say! Not that I'm complaining or anything! :)

Yea Jon, as soon as the metal work is finished it'll be time to prep for paint. That's why I'm in a bit of a rush to decide on the colour!

Once it's painted it still won't be finished though. But is any resto ever really finished?! :confused:
I'm going to bring it home, wheel it into the garage and get saving for the JGE gas burners and then the narrowed beam. :D

Will be nice to spend some cash on cool stuff like rims!! Somehow it seems a little less painful! ;)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hey 1584! Still not decided on colour. It's definately going to be orange but it just depends what shade. I'm not finding the colour charts too helpful! Most of the colours are metalics and there's only about four orange shades in all the charts!

There was a bug in August 2002 issue of volksworld, its wearing coral red which apprears to be a really nice orange shade. Not sure how well you can see the car in the photo I've just taken of the mag but here it is:

There was another German Folks car in Volksworld in 2002, really bright orange that I loved!! Built by Paul Smoot I think! Just found the Volksworld issue, here's the car:

If anyone has any ideas on the colour or can think of any nice shades of orange please let me know! ;)

So, 1584, have you decided on a colour? Shame you can't get some photo's on here so we can have a look! :) Cant wait to see those wheels of yours on the car! :)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Right, a few more bits have been done! :D

There's one more bit of welding to do on the rear near side inner wing section which should be completed today or tomorrow:

Other than that it's all done! The body's back off the pan and back up on the roler so it's all accessable for paint prep! :D
Just a few welds to be tidied up in places now:

Rear nearside inner wing and rear cross member section now looks as tidy as the other side:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Nearside outer door pillar section has been let it and looking mighty fine:

Offside inner wing all in place and looking tidy:

Offside rear quarter section all let in and nicely smoothed down for paint:

And one final shot of the back of the car on the roler:

There's a couple of nasty looking sections at the end of the guttering which should be fun! I'll keep you all updated on that one! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
553 Posts
benjyhas said:
So, 1584, have you decided on a colour? Shame you can't get some photo's on here so we can have a look! :) Cant wait to see those wheels of yours on the car! :)

Yup, I've decided to keep it the original orange colour (L20B) :D

Started a thread here

Orange '71

so you'll soon see the colour :)

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Top stuff:hangloose

Quite like that coral red colour in the pic by the way....
Although that's probably because it's the least orangey orange I've seen:D

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Jonofdoom said:
Top stuff:hangloose

Quite like that coral red colour in the pic by the way....
Although that's probably because it's the least orangey orange I've seen:D
Your just not 'man enough' as you put it to drive a true orange car Jon! At a show one day I'm going to make you sit in it, just to see if you can cope! ;)

I really like the coral red! Only problem being a chap who lives in the same town as me has a bug painted that same colour and I don't want to be stepping on his toes! :rolleyes:

The hunt for paint continues....

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
1584cc said:
Yup, I've decided to keep it the original orange colour (L20B) :D

Started a thread here

Orange '71

so you'll soon see the colour :)
Just popped on your thread buddy, progress looks good! :)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Mr_Wobble said:
I'm well impressed with their speed and quiality. You hear some nightmare stories about some places taking ages, etc. But they seem to know what they're doing, and doing it well.
What sort of estimate have they given you for all the work?
Afternoon Sir Wobble! :)

I am really lucky to be having my bug restored by DubMonkey's. They're working at such a crazy pace but the quality of the work is still very very high. I'd recommend them to anyone.

My girlfriend and I have a 69' Bay which has been undergoing restoration with someone else since November last year and it's still no where near done! Originally it was meant to be completed by April, then August, now more like October so I know what your saying about 'nightmare stories'. :(

Still, at least my bug will be done before long! :D

oh...and as for an estimate, I'll send you a PM with the details! ;)

41 - 60 of 509 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.