Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought today would be a good day to start swapping my spindles for some dropped one on my splitty.

However, as goes such things I figured it would probably take 2 times longer than expected, so set myself the target of changing one side today and the other next week.

Everything went well apart from I was unable to wind the brakes in when removing the hub - no worries thought I, I'll just squeeze out the drum and sort it out when I put it back together. Ball joints came out a treat. Great!

Only not so great on reassembly when I turned my attention to the brake adjusters.. they had corroded completely to the activators! Looks like a sever lack of copper slip and no adjustment for the past 3 years has buggered them! No amount of releasing agent was going to sort them. So it looks like I'm going to have to replace them as well.

I fully take the blame as I've not adjusted them earlier (they've barely been used in the past 4 years). I'm just glad I discovered it now.

It just means that I've now got more jobs (other side is likely to be the same) to complete before she's back on the road again. :rolleyes:

Theres a lesson for all us slackers, who don't do enough basic maintenance in this one... :(

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
Ah the joys of owning a rusty old dub :crazy:

Good luck and remember if at first you dont succeed , get a massive hammer and whack it :incheek: :D

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
:eek:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spiny said:
at least your calipers and pistons don't look like this :)

No - thats definitely a good thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts