Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just picked up my new 1500 1973 Type 3 Variant :D :D :D
Only problem is that I've never owned an aircooled VW before and am at a bit of a loss of how to look after it and what to look out for :rolleyes:

I'm a qualified mechanic (been out of the trade for a couple of years now though) so know how to use tools etc but my knowledge lies mainly with more modern engine technology (ECUs, sensors, ABS etc etc) I really can't remember the last time I set valve clearances or adjusted a set of carbs!!!!

The square will be my daily driver so I really need to keep it in good running order :D hmmmm..maybe I should have brought something else!!!

I've a few questions and if anyone would like to give me some general advice it would be greatly appreciated :)

1. How often should I service and change the oil in my square?? (Whats the best oil??)

2. Is there anything specific that I should pay particular attention to to avoid major engine damage/problems etc

3. Are there any "common problems" that it would be worth my while checking considring that I have just brought the car

4. The brakes are crap - whats a cost effective way to (I have discs on the front)

5. Any other tips greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks

Jay :D

·
Banned
6,339 Posts
jgtr said:
Hi all, just picked up my new 1500 1973 Type 3 Variant :D :D :D
Only problem is that I've never owned an aircooled VW before and am at a bit of a loss of how to look after it and what to look out for :rolleyes:

I'm a qualified mechanic (been out of the trade for a couple of years now though) so know how to use tools etc but my knowledge lies mainly with more modern engine technology (ECUs, sensors, ABS etc etc) I really can't remember the last time I set valve clearances or adjusted a set of carbs!!!!

The square will be my daily driver so I really need to keep it in good running order :D hmmmm..maybe I should have brought something else!!!

I've a few questions and if anyone would like to give me some general advice it would be greatly appreciated :)

1. How often should I service and change the oil in my square?? (Whats the best oil??)

2. Is there anything specific that I should pay particular attention to to avoid major engine damage/problems etc

3. Are there any "common problems" that it would be worth my while checking considring that I have just brought the car

4. The brakes are crap - whats a cost effective way to (I have discs on the front)

5. Any other tips greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks

Jay :D
1. Can opened, worms everywhere.....

Opinions on best oil vary wildly, but any 30 weigh Monograde or mineral based multigrade will be cool. Steer clear of synthetics IMHO.

Change it as often as you can if you have an oil strainer only system (ie only filtered by a 'tea strainer' in the sump) 3000 is generally accepted to be a good shout. or go 'full flow' and fit a proper filtre cartridge.

2. not really, the VW aircooled lump is about as simple as simple gets. But it'll need more attention than a modern lump. timing and oil cooling/filtration are essential to keeping the temperature controled and the engine in good fettle.

3. Common Problems?? not any more than any other 30 year old motor....as above, full flow oil filtration and well fettled timing and carbs will help it live longer.

4. er...depends what you are used to. If they are bad compared to other T3's i'd start by cahnging the fluid and bleeding them properly. But compared to a modern they will be shite.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,982 Posts
no just cleaned with a bit of petrol or similar

i think an electronic ignition is worth while to replace the points and condenser - Petronix or similar

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
jgtr said:
Will this need to be replaced when the oil is changed...soz if a dumb question :rolleyes:
For your first service... yeah, I'd change it... then you know its been done. For the next few services, just give it a clean out.

They only cost a few quid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts