Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
25 character limit is cra
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 50s Tatra cooled their racing engines without a fan but used the exhaust to draw cooling air out of the tinware. I've not seen it used anywhere else and it's only mentioned in a book written by Tatra's chief Engineer in the 60s. Until now, thanks to youtube!

The exhaust is inside those big oval extractors, so the speed of the exhaust gas draws the cooling air out after it's passed inside all the tinware. Bonkers, but worthy of a wider audience I thought :D

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Norton did that too (I think) on the Interpols. Makes you wonder how people think of things like that! Mind you, we laugh at East German cars, but before WW2, companies like Tatra and Skoda were premier engineers and coach builders. Imagine a Skoda being the star of a Paris or Geneva Motor show... They were!

I've been working on an oil cooling system that uses the 2.1 water boxer filter mount oil cooler. Using coolant that runs through a little booster pump into a heater matrix with blower and is controlled by a 14mm threaded thermo switch with relay.
That means that rather than running loads of oil hose up the vehicle, the coolant is all that travels from the filter mount. Less chance of pressure drops and hose failure. It ain't rocket science like the Tatra but it could solve cooler location problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts