Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of the Rough Rider (the VW-based SRB off-roader that started it all) Tamiya have just confirmed it will be re-released June/July of this year!!....unlimited production run too!

....faithful to the original kit....cast alloy parts,even packed in the old-style blister packs :eek:....infact it looks like the only difference will be uprated shocks and slightly different sponsor stickers!

...since it shares exactly the same chassis as the famous Sand-scorcher , it now seems inconceivable that the Baja won't be up for re-release soon too (and maybe the Ford Ranger and Super-Champ too!):cool:......looks like my collection is about to start growing.:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Excellent stuff.

I use to have the Cheetah way back when. Shame they're not going to re-release that as well.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Used to have a cheetah as well. spent all my pocket money replaceing the plastic wishbones that snaped every time u
when't over a bump.:lol:

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
I had a Hornet, Grasshopper 2, Midnight Pumpkin and then I peaked with my Avante because it had a 'dyna tech motor' :lol:

Awesome fun when you're a nipper :D

·
Registered
16,703 Posts
EPIC EPIC EPIC WANT!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is going on my Christmas list...

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
the BIG question is whether they'll re-use the original pro-mo videos.:cool::lol:....i can actually remember these being played in my local toyshop:D

I had one that I gave away about 15 years ago. :eek:

You couldn't really give them that much abuse as the cast suspension parts used to snap. I went through loads :(

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had one that I gave away about 15 years ago. :eek:

You couldn't really give them that much abuse as the cast suspension parts used to snap. I went through loads :(
my first Tamiya was a sandrover....after a couple of years i decide to shorten it so it would wheelie....so i chopped it in half, and that was about as far as i got:( (cost me a lot more to get another many years later).

...my birthday is around the time the rough rider/buggy champ is released,so the missus had better get saving.:lol:

·
Registered
16,703 Posts
It's on my Christmas list... I am PRAYING the re-release the sand scorcher, because.... This is what my Baja looks like just now (URL so as not to hijack a thread)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/fall-apart-dave/DSC003921.jpg

:D

*EDIT* I knocked the recycling bin over trying to get stuff out of the way for the pic, hence the bottles! :lol: I'm not an alcoholic! :lol: But yes, my yard is normally a shit tip!

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
974 Posts
...to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of the Rough Rider (the VW-based SRB off-roader that started it all) Tamiya have just confirmed it will be re-released June/July of this year!!....unlimited production run too!

....faithful to the original kit....cast alloy parts,even packed in the old-style blister packs :eek:....infact it looks like the only difference will be uprated shocks and slightly different sponsor stickers!

...since it shares exactly the same chassis as the famous Sand-scorcher , it now seems inconceivable that the Baja won't be up for re-release soon too (and maybe the Ford Ranger and Super-Champ too!):cool:......looks like my collection is about to start growing.:)

I've got one of these, it was built by my dad for Christmas when I was 10 which makes it 26 years old maybe more. As a kid it got a bit of stick, I remember snapping one of the front wheel threads off & never replacing it. Does anyone have any spares for it?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's on my Christmas list... I am PRAYING the re-release the sand scorcher, because.... This is what my Baja looks like just now (URL so as not to hijack a thread)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/fall-apart-dave/DSC003921.jpg

:D

*EDIT* I knocked the recycling bin over trying to get stuff out of the way for the pic, hence the bottles! :lol: I'm not an alcoholic! :lol: But yes, my yard is normally a shit tip!
:eek:....blimey, i thought my yard was bad :lol:....that looks like it'll be a beast, love it!:cool:

....i'm almost positive that they will re-release the scorcher now....for years Tamiya have been saying that their re-releases are leading up to something that will blow our minds....cynics said an SRB based kit would never happen....and now Tamiya have proved them wrong.

If they did re-release the Scorcher they'd make a fortune.;)....they'd be crazy not to.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got one of these, it was built by my dad for Christmas when I was 10 which makes it 26 years old maybe more. As a kid it got a bit of stick, I remember snapping one of the front wheel threads off & never replacing it. Does anyone have any spares for it?
think the bits that you need are available on ebay (comes as part of a packet including the upper and lower arms so is a bit pricey though)...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-Rough-Rider-Sand-Scorcher-Lower-Upper-Arms_W0QQitemZ300311187344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item300311187344&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

you could also try the tamiyaclub for sale section.
...or just wait for a couple of months when there'll be loads of spares available.:)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i got my first tamiya r.c. when i was about 8 ,think it was called holiday buggy :):)

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
i used to have a holiday buggy - REALLY wanted a sand scorcher but the floks just couldnt afford it at the time

i'd be well interested in one of these - and even more so in the scorcher if re-released....they'd be pure shelf queens though - i wouldnt use them

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sweet.. although i've just been out and bought a slightly larger one... toying with the idea of modelling it on one of the tamiya cars.. decals and all.:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts