Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold this on behalf of my dad. He's owned this mercedes 190sl for about 40 years now. Some guys bought it with the intention of restoring it. Thought my bug was in a bad way before I restored it until I saw this :eek:
Thought a few of you on here might like a couple of photos!

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
'Kin'ell!! :eek: That's worse than I imagined from the thread title! Good luck to them if they do restore it. :hangloose: Where do you start? :smurf:

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
spiny said:
obligatory 'its hoodride' comment :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA*breathe*HAHAHA! :lol:

I'll do the start of the follow up discussion then:

"But I just don't get it. I mean, are they just too lazy to restore it or summing?"

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
It cant be Hoodride, its not VW.

(smiley or no smiley....how serious do people take me? Oh fuck it Ive ruined it now anyway.)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked him where he'd start! Apparently its a very rare car which is why he wants to restore it. He said he'd be stripping it down as far as he has to before he finds something to build on. Really nice guy though. Said his Mrs runs a hotel and they'd put me up for free if I wanted to come and se eit when its done. They also happen to live 20 minutes from Santa Pod which could be handy if I coinside my visit with a Bug Jam weekend! ;)

He paid 1600 sheets for it to!!

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Bodyshell from American dry state, weld in the RHD dashboard and chassis plate.

Anything else is just silly IMHO

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
benjyhas said:
He said he'd be stripping it down as far as he has to before he finds something to build on.
He paid 1600 sheets for it to!!
I think I saw a steering wheel somewhere :incheek:

Fair play to the man, and good luck :hangloose

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Autohausdolby said:
Just needs lowering and a set of rims :D

I would love it if that car makes it back onto the road :)
It's a cool looking car! Has a sense of Karmann Ghia about it me thinks!

I'd REALLY love to see it back on the road one day! He swears to me it will be. I grew up with that car on my driveway as a kid, I remember being sat in it for hours pretending to drive it. I was kinda sad when I saw it go. I'll keep you all posted on the guys progress! ;)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
garethj said:
Bodyshell from American dry state, weld in the RHD dashboard and chassis plate.

Anything else is just silly IMHO
Think your right Gareth. There's been a few complete shells from the states on ebay. Good thing about my dads car is that it's complete with all the hard to find bits. Enigne and gear box are fine so it may be a matter of making one good car out of two :)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Will be lovely as when restored to this. They must need to take bits of another somewhere, so surely the donor car would be a better bet? Good on them though, great to see the effort that goes into keeping auto heritage alive. (ah, post above answers my question)

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
there are people out there with the ability to build cars from scratch, at least there is a base of some description to start from! it all depends on the value of it when its complete as well

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
itfczx9r said:
there are people out there with the ability to build cars from scratch, at least there is a base of some description to start from! it all depends on the value of it when its complete as well
I saw a documentary once on rebuilding a vintage motor (some thing with copper or brass panels), and they visited a famous coachbuilder, who basically fashioned a wing on one of those hammer things virtually from sight. It was one of the most impressive things i've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
itfczx9r said:
Just heard of one of the members of the beatles used to own one of these, I think it was Ringo Star. His went for over 30K at a mercedes dealers in London! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe it went for so much because a former beatles fan bought it though! I've seen quite a few go for well over 20K though

1 - 20 of 57 Posts