Volkszone Forum banner

another retrotastic ebay find

819 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  AngelVenomous 
#1 ·
#3 ·
AngelVenomous said:
Bloody hell!

Paint it Dyno Rod van flourescent orange and stick a Jaguar cat on the bonnet and that would be my first car!

Kinda miss it now. :(
Bloody Merc driver slammed into the back of it.

I still reckon a Renault designer was driving past, saw the back end after the accident and designed the Megan back end from that ;)
ive driven one and was suprised how well it drove....torquey smooth and plush inside..... :eek:

#9 ·
Misty's Quest said:
I dont know a great deal about these things, why are they so laughed at?

They look kinda cool!
Er... square steering wheel?

This was the early Allegros though. Mine was a 1975 model which means it had a normal round steering wheel.
You have to look at British Leyland on the whole to truely appreciate why they were laughed at. Bad build quality, bad reliability, weird things like strike action causing some cars to not be fitted with wiper motors etc etc

Have to say my Allegro wasn't bad (presumably the Vanden Plas was better built) but compare this - there was millions of them in the UK in the 70's and 80's and they outnumbered Mk1 Golfs but were made around the same period as the Mk1 Golf. Now, how many Mk1 Golfs do you see compared to Allegros?

BTW, who is she kidding? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.