Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Been lurking on this forum for a while since I started my own project. I'd always wanted to build 2 things (well at least 2), one a custom bike which I completed a while back & also some sort of hotrod. My initial ideas though of a re-bodied Scimitar eventually stopped when I found that I couldn't alter the chassis i.e. get rid of the outriggers without needing the SVA test. So the Beetle route is now where I've ended up.
I'm well into the project & I must admit I'm not the best at keeping good photographic evidence at what I've done or how I got there. I've seen other threads on here where amazing work has been done & brilliant step by step information shown, I can't compete with that I'm afraid.
So this is where I started from, the purchase of a 1974 1300 beetle, already partially stripped & minus numerous bits & pieces plus a blown engine.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to do a roof chop & deliberated for ages on the best way to do it. I'm by no means an expert where welding & fabrication is concerned so for me the simplest & less involved route for my first chop was the way to go. The result was to follow what had been done before over in the States called the 'Fernon' chop which I'm sure most have heard/seen his detailed thread.
But before that lots of other stuff needed doing. My basic plan for the Volksrod was:
Roof Chop
Air Ride
Fat rear wheels, skinny front
No wings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bought the car the previous owner told me he had some work done on it some years back where the body was taken off for some welding etc. As I was intending to strip the car to its bare bones this was good news to me as surely it would come apart easy. Well it did up to a point, all the bolts holding the body to the chassis came out easily although one was missing but when it came to lift it free the jacking points had been welded to the body. Hence why the pictures below aren't that good it was late at night by the time I'd cut them free.
Off at last.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Body seemed reasonable the only major issues seemed to be some rust in the rear by the rear wheel tubs although a lot of repair patching had already been done. The petrol filler area was crusty as well. Heater channels looked fine but these may have been already replaced.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time to strip the chassis down. This is where my photo log isn't as good as it should've been.
Gear box off.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I've mentioned I'm fitting air ride. When I took the front beam off I found some patching had been done underneath. I was going to add some gusseting to stiffen the beam towers up but as the welding that had been done wasn't that great I ditched the idea to salvage this one. Anyway chassis stripped & moved outside for a power wash to see what was underneath the dirt.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the pans had been replaced although by the time I'd cleaned & then wire brushed the lot they both had similar issues, nothing major just a few holes & some surface rust.
You may have noticed my garage links our house to next door. Unfortunately next doors lounge is the other side of the communal wall, not ideal when your attacking a chassis with an angle grinder.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chassis stripped, welded where required. I've already jumped on a bit here preparing for some future mods. As I'm chopping the roof & I'm reasonably tall I knew I would have to mount the seats as low as possible. I was uncertain what seats I was going to use at this stage although I didn't want standard Beetle ones. I was going to make use of universal mounts/sliders whatever I ended up with so cross members were welded in at the right spacing to allow for these.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next step was to refurbish/replace as much as possible to build the chassis up. Most of the brake parts are new, but the pedal assembly was salvageable. Steering box seems ok with no noticeable play.
Everything cleaned & painted.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next step was to spend a lot of money.

I went for Limebug's full air ride kit as I thought this the best option for me. I needed a replacement front beam as I've mentioned mine was shot, so their strengthened version seemed ideal.

I also wanted to upgrade the Gearbox for a 'Freeway Flyer' as I'm intending to fit a bigger engine. I had no idea of the condition of the one I had with the car so it would've needed a thorough check anyway. As I was buying a lot of stuff from Limebug at the time I decided to use them for this as well, luckily they did give me a little discount:)

Well eventually my order of parts arrived albeit not the 2 weeks I was expecting, more like 6 :mad: Whenever I buy something I do look at the lead time quoted & expect whoever promises this to keep to it within reason.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the gearbox back from it's upgrade. The 'Freeway Flyer' upgrade is done on your own Gearbox. So you sent off yours & the same one comes back. Unfortunately as you can see in the pictures a couple of studs are missing. Limebug did send a couple of replacements when I contacted them & assured me this definitely was my original one :confused:
Not impressed with their quality control.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 322 Posts
Top