Volkszone Forum banner

281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Something I have just changed is the light above the number plate bracket. I had a spare "stop" light from my bike so thought this would look better than the oval one that came with it & would match in better with the other 2 lights.

I've started looking at making some small "mudguards" for the wheels. There will be some brackets thrown up to support some thin steel covers that'll be as small as I think I can get away with. Mock-ups of the brackets have been made in wood already but my delivery of steel has yet to arrive. So until this gets here this burst of activity might fizzle out :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
There are a few small odd jobs hat still need finishing while I'm waiting for supplies to turn up. Swapping out the rear light reminded me that I need to sort something for the front number plate to hang off. It'll be a square shape one at the front & I want it central as prefer things to look symmetrical. I don't mind it coming up over the nose of the bonnet a little so I thought I could mount off the reinforcing bar I put behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
So before I'd ordered the steel, I'd made some crude mock ups of the brackets I thought would do the job for my minimal mudguards. Having recently had a tidy up & clear out of odd bits of material I struggled to find anything useful so excuse how crude they are.

For the front a simple straight vertical one which will come off the tie rod mount.......

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
........for the rear it'll have to be bent to give clearance to miss everything when the suspension goes up & down. It'll come off the 2 bolts at the end of the spring plates. I mocked up the profile of bracket for the mudguard as well, making it 2 piece allows for some adjustment............

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
So the steel eventually arrived but as soon as it did I realised I hadn't ordered enough, so more ordered. I wanted them to be stiff to limit movement under any road vibration allowing me to fit the actual guard nice & snug to the tyre. The bar is 5mm thick which will give me issues trying to bend it due to my limited resources but should do the job if not being overkill.

Rear uprights under construction starting with the blanks........

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Whilst doing all this I managed to break the screen on my phone so I couldn't take pictures for a while. So jumping to the finished raw steel components, these are the rear mudguard supports that'll connect to the uprights. To take some of the weight out & to make them more interesting I put some additional holes in.........

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
So next step is painting these parts plus making the small guards themselves. I'm just going to have a thin bit of sheet steel for these but I have an idea for something to act as a donor to make them slightly different. Just need to find one locally I can sneak out & get :D

281 - 300 of 322 Posts