Volkszone Forum banner

301 - 320 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 · (Edited)
Then went to fit the driver's side one & it wouldn't fit parallel to the wheel :mad:

Because I've got the car tight to one side of the garage I made all my mock-ups off of the passenger side & wrongly assumed parts on the other side would be a mirror image. How wrong was I, the dropped spindles I bought have been machined slightly differently, meaning the step between the cast & machined surface & resultant edge sticks in further on the drivers side. This prevents my bracket sitting where I want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
I struggle to understand why they are so different & it did piss me off a bit I must admit. I was tempted to grind the edge back on the spindle to let some steam off but decided to notch the bracket to clear instead..............

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
So I cut the guards from areas of the drum where the ribs were to add some stiffness to them plus to give a little detail. However the diameter of the drum is slightly smaller than the tyres so a little manipulating will be required to lessen the curve. Hopefully they won't get distorted while I try & do this.

Here they are resting on the tyres in roughly the right location.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 · (Edited)
It's been a long while since I updated this thread but I have some news. I have just returned today from the MOT centre & I'm pleased to announce it passed (y)

Not having done a lot to it over the last 2 years or so due to extending the garage & garden landscaping I've finally finished the last few odd jobs on it to get it ready.

I'd actually booked it in for yesterday & warned them that it was not exactly a standard Beetle & also that I'd wait around while they looked at it to show how everything worked. Well of course it stumped them completely when I turned up first thing yesterday morning as they hadn't tested anything like this before. I could tell they were regretting taking this one on because some of the things they were saying had me worried that it was never going to pass. I was pretty sure after some research that there wasn't anything that would not pass a recognised MOT but because of their concern & the fact they rang DVSA to ask for guidance o_O & then said can you leave it with us for the rest of the day & perhaps overnight & into tomorrow I didn't hold much hope.

I did spend some time with the actual technician who was going to do the test & politely tried to counter all the areas he had issues with before went home & perhaps that did help a little, who knows.

So off to the post office tomorrow to sort out registering it as a historical vehicle, we'll see how that goes!

IMG_20210604_164738_modified.jpg
IMG_20210604_164747.jpg
IMG_20210604_164802_modified.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Thanks for the comments ...

Well a trip to the local village Post Office went very well :D as the lady at the counter knew all about the historical vehicle status. She looked on her link to DVLA for the car & apart from saying "it's a yellow Beetle isn't it?" that was that. She took the relevant part of the V5 to send off & looked at the MOT certificate then gave me a receipt for the zero value road tax, result.

I had updated the V5 with the changes I'd done i.e. colour & engine swap so everything is/will be correct when I get the new V5 back.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 · (Edited)
Went out for a little drive down to he coast to celebrate .... I'm not sure what's happened but somehow the mudguards have gone missing :sneaky:

IMG_20210605_160133_modified.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Having not driven an old car for donkeys years it was quite an experience. The drum brakes do make you twitch a little when you have to call on them in anger.

I also need to sort out the engine performance properly as it is really lacking in power. I know it's not meant to be anything special but it's not running right at all. When getting it ready for the MOT I spent ages trying to get the carb set to work with that motorcycle can. It would run fine when starting up on the choke but as soon as that came off it wouldn't tick over. After tinkering with the carb settings for ages & getting nowhere a bit of googling helped me look at the can & baffle the baffle to give more backpressure in the exhaust. This got the engine ticking over when warm albeit not brilliantly but pre MOT I couldn't drive it to see how it really performed. Taking it down to the coast showed up how it struggles on hills, perhaps I've restricted the can too much but that was the only way to get it to tick over.

Any help/suggestions are welcome if anyone has had similar issues with free flowing exhausts? I'm going to have another tinker tomorrow to see if I'm missing something.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's very cool. Nicely done. Although I have to admit I kinda prefer the rear wheels with the token mudguards on. Personal preference, of course.

·
Administrator
166,797 Posts
It's been a long while since I updated this thread but I have some news. I have just returned today from the MOT centre & I'm pleased to announce it passed (y)

Not having done a lot to it over the last 2 years or so due to extending the garage & garden landscaping I've finally finished the last few odd jobs on it to get it ready.

I'd actually booked it in for yesterday & warned them that it was not exactly a standard Beetle & also that I'd wait around while they looked at it to show how everything worked. Well of course it stumped them completely when I turned up first thing yesterday morning as they hadn't tested anything like this before. I could tell they were regretting taking this one on because some of the things they were saying had me worried that it was never going to pass. I was pretty sure after some research that there wasn't anything that would not pass a recognised MOT but because of their concern & the fact they rang DVSA to ask for guidance o_O & then said can you leave it with us for the rest of the day & perhaps overnight & into tomorrow I didn't hold much hope.

I did spend some time with the actual technician who was going to do the test & politely tried to counter all the areas he had issues with before went home & perhaps that did help a little, who knows.

So off to the post office tomorrow to sort out registering it as a historical vehicle, we'll see how that goes!

View attachment 293468 View attachment 293469 View attachment 293470
Nice. 🤙

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 · (Edited)
Well got around to having a look at the poor performance & noticed a bit of a dusty mess on the back of the engine. Turned out to be shavings of the alternator belt, one of the nuts that hold the bracket to the chrome guard had been rubbing on it.

IMG_20210608_130504.jpg

Not sure what happened really, perhaps over the time I've had the engine I may have leant on the guard pushing it too close to the belt. I'd been starting the engine regularly & hadn't spotted anything so perhaps the first trip I did caused it to move that little bit more. There isn't much clearance with the guard centralised as the nuts do seem too close. Anyway I managed to get a replacement & fitted that this morning. To prevent it happening again I ditched the supplied fasteners & fitted some low height mushroom head screws from the inside with new nuts outside.

IMG_20210608_130548.jpg

Over to the poor power issue, I decided to un-baffle the baffle a bit as I could only think I'd overdone it just to get a good tick over. After a few tweaks opening up holes I'd blanked off & a few more tweaks to the carb it's now running much better thankfully. A quick drive confirmed I'd released the full power of the VW flat 4, well as far as I can tell :LOL:

301 - 320 of 322 Posts