Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found out I have a 4 terminal, single speed, 12v, "box shaped" wiper motor (thanks moby)

however, connecting it up to test this morning, as per this diagram:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_66.jpg

with the permanent live (when ignition is on) tab, (#54) the wiper runs at a sort of fast intermittent wipe.

I'm assuming this is a problem with the auto return and the momentum of one finished wipe is carrying the mechanism over to the next and repeating. is this a problem with the internal mechanism, or is it simply because there isn't enough resistance on the spindles (not connected to wipers)?

also, I was looking at this diagram:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_67.jpg

that appears to use the flasher relay for something, an intermittent wipe?? is it worth wiring that up as I have a 3 position wiper switch?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually, I think i see my error with the first part of the question using moby's switch diagram:

it looks like in order to test it properly, when only on the live terminal (#54), #31b should be earthed too.

still interested in the intermittent flasher question tho

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I don't want to teach granny to suck eggs, but wondered if a little more explanation about wiper motors may help. I wanted to do the intermittent wipe thing as well and ran into a problem. In order to stop a motor accurately (self park) it is necessary to switch a short circuit across the motor thus stalling it. This is done automatically by a combination of switches inside the motor and the wiper switch. So to test a motor you will need the full switch as well as all the wiring including earths as shown in the diagrams. It is this arrangement that makes intermittent wipe virtually impossible. Modern wiper motors have all the switching internally so all we need externally is on and off.

I hope this offers a little insight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts