Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of fitting anti roll bars, as most modern cars have them, and my 72 bug doesnt.

I have heard that:

plus points- stops the sway/roll.

bad points- makes the ride more stiff/ less cushioned over potholes etc.

now to tell you the truth, the ride is not that bad at the moment, its standard, not lowered, but, im wondering why everyone else seems to be fitting them.

Any opinions? :)

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
It should have an anti roll bar on the front from the factory, all Beetles from about 1959 had it.

If your car has swing axles on the rear I wouldn't fit a rear anti roll bar - it adds roll stiffness to the rear which makes it more prone to oversteer. You don't want that in a swing axle Beetle!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, i dont think mine has one. and it rolls like the anthill mobs car......

·
Premium Member
8,821 Posts
Unless you are seriously lowering the car, (all round), the A/R bar will make a difference, (like the difference between the car staying on the road in a sharp bend, or going through the hedge backwards). :D VW didn't fit A/R bars just for looks, they are an integral part of the suspension set-up, (even though they look like a design afterthought), just like torsion bars and shock absorbers. It all works together, to control handling and ride quality. Anyone using a beetle for competition purposes takes A/R bars seriously, they usually have uprated ones. That's got to tell you something about what the A/R bar does for the car's handling and safety. ;)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill have another look then, but im sure i didnt see one when i changed the wheel last week.......

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Laurence Fletcher said:
Unless you are seriously lowering the car, (all round), the A/R bar will make a difference, (like the difference between the car staying on the road in a sharp bend, or going through the hedge backwards). :D VW didn't fit A/R bars just for looks, they are an integral part of the suspension set-up, (even though they look like a design afterthought), just like torsion bars and shock absorbers. It all works together, to control handling and ride quality. Anyone using a beetle for competition purposes takes A/R bars seriously, they usually have uprated ones. That's got to tell you something about what the A/R bar does for the car's handling and safety. ;)
What he said - fit an anti-roll bar or die.
Without the you either have crashed or are going to crash (assuming you are not crashing as you read this).

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
What he said - fit an anti-roll bar or die.
Without the you either have crashed or are going to crash (assuming you are not crashing as you read this).
Bit of a drastic statement! :crazy:

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
i dont run one on my bug, and i havnt crashed yet (touch wood several times). Mine handles better without, but it is slammed at the weight, with massive rake, so the weight distribution is not standard etc etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts