Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having moved to a house with a very large garden, earlier this year I bought a petrol strimmer, a "Parkerbrand" model. From new it's been a pain to start, but eventually it fires up and runs well.

Last time I used it, I had the brush cutter on, and needed to change to the strimmer, but when I let it go to idle, it died. Since then, I have not been able to start it at all.

I have taken out the plug and made sure I have a spark, which I do, it's got fuel, and it's less than 6 months old so I can't see that there could be anything wrong with the carb. I also tried spraying some GT85 (all I had to hand that was flammable) down the carb, but no starting.

What worries me is that it now feels easier to turn over with the pull cord, in that I can pull it right out now, whereas before it felt quite hard, like there was more compression.

Could it be that something has failed in the engine, and it's the lack of compression that's the problem?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the exhaust off earlier, so I could see the piston. The side of it that I could see is quite heavily scored vertically, but no idea if that's normal or not. Forgot to take a picture!

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Took the exhaust off earlier, so I could see the piston. The side of it that I could see is quite heavily scored vertically, but no idea if that's normal or not. Forgot to take a picture!
A heavily scored piston is NOT normal on any engine. If it is less than a year old, I'd take it back to the shop

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A heavily scored piston is NOT normal on any engine. If it is less than a year old, I'd take it back to the shop
I have contacted them, they asked me to send a video of it not starting, which I have done. I also took a picture of the scoring this time...
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal

I think it's buggered!

what ratio have you been using ? Is it possible you got the mix wrong?
Have always been careful to get it right, so pretty sure that's not the issue.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lack of oil.user abuse
I agree that it does look like that, but I am an instruction-follower, and I can say for sure that it has always had the correct mix of fuel and oil. It's only been used about 5 or 6 times since I bought it in May, and as far as I know I haven't abused it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For what it's worth
2 stroke piston rings have a pin to stop gap moving round to ports
Possibly piston ring pin has fallen out come loose ring has rotated to ports
And destroyed itself
No saving head or piston
Looks older than 6 months there's scuffing and a crack on one of the lugs in the picture put it back together and return it under guarantee
Don't tell them you've taken it apart !

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For what it's worth
2 stroke piston rings have a pin to stop gap moving round to ports
Possibly piston ring pin has fallen out come loose ring has rotated to ports
And destroyed itself
No saving head or piston
Looks older than 6 months there's scuffing and a crack on one of the lugs in the picture put it back together and return it under guarantee
Don't tell them you've taken it apart !
Thanks for the info, I don't have any 2 stroke experience, so this is useful. I can assure you that this was purchased new in May this year, and those scuffs must have been already there as I have only just taken the exhaust cover and exhaust off.

I am talking with the manufacturer now, although they are currently trying to tell me that I am flooding it!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
No problem I wouldn't describe myself as an expert but I have stripped and rebuilt a couple of 2 stroke engines
I bought a McCullough multi head tool recently on Spock spares repair it had locked solid
The piston pin that sops the ring rotating had broken enough to get trapped between the port and piston skirt and locked solid there was no where near the damage seen in your photo
It ran for a while but was difficult to start
So it went to the tip
Then engine in your picture is toast
Both head and piston are beyond repair
And the debris has probably ruined the crank and bearings
Sorry but no good news
I would not admit to taking anything apart if possible
Just return to where you bought it
All the best Darren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts