Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why has my cat suddenly decided she's going to wee on our bed and on the door mat? :confused:

First time she wet herself on our bed we took her to the vets who said she may possibly have a touch of cystitis, even though she had very few symptoms. She was fine for a few months then did it again. This time we'd been away for a week and we thought she was a bit traumatised that we'd been away (she's a sensitive soul).

Then nothing for nearly 2 years until 3 weeks ago. We were having a lie in, she came in, jumped on the bed and did her business! :mad:
Last night, she decided to wee on the doormat.

She's always used her litter tray before so why not now? And why in such open spaces? It's not like she's trying to hide or cover it up?!

Anybody got any ideas? Cat's wee stinks!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I can't help alfie although if it's any consolation. Our kitten. (we've had him a whole day now and he's called manky.) Decided to use my Jeans as a litter tray. (just number 1, luckily) :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Have you moved the tray?
Have you cleaned it with something different?
Are you using different litter?
How often do you change it?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My parents cat does the same, he's a bit old and infirm and he recently started weeing on the rug in my brothers room and almost got his trainers on another occasion. We think it's an attention seeking thing, he usually does it if he feels ignored - but it also happened on another occasion when his litter try hadn't been emptied.
he was always really close to me and my brother and now thers only my brother at home he seems to want all his attention! Cats can be funny sometimes! :lol:

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Weeing on the doormat could be because she smells another cat or a fox or something from outside and feels she needs to mark her territory (not just toms do this). As for the bed...has she got a cat flap? Was the litter tray 'dirty' (my two used to refuse to go in it again once they'd been until I cleaned it out :rolleyes: ) or like Victoria said, new litter or something?

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
My cat went thru a phase of weeing on my bed too... I bought 3 new duvets in total if I remember correctly :tick:

I have no idea why, and it's not happened for ages now. I thought, at the time, that she was missing me as I was out of the house a lot.

Sorry .. got no useful advice (except keep your bedroom door closed) :D

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
fuchs lee said:
I can't help alfie although if it's any consolation. Our kitten. (we've had him a whole day now and he's called manky.) Decided to use my Jeans as a litter tray. (just number 1, luckily) :D
Where you in them at the time?! :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well she's only 3 1/2 so not infirm.

Litter tray is in the usual place, cleaned out with the same disinfectant and using the same litter. It is a covered type (to avoid the flicky poo situation) but has been for nearly 2 years.

Neither cats will use the tray if it's dirty, so we empty ahem, solids, twice a day and wash/disinfect it totally twice a week.

They both prefer 'going' outside but we don't let them out at night or when we're not about. So they just use the tray when they're inside and the flower beds when they're allowed out.

She was crying to get out last night and we didn't let her, that's when she went. And there has been a tom spraying near by we think. But why on the bed?

We keep the bedroom door shut now but all that happens is we get two cats crying and pawing at the door all night. :lol:

Once, ages and ages ago, just after the first incident, she actually pooed on the bed - even the vet was flumoxed at that one. And worse still, I was asleep at the time. Thank goodness I didn't roll over! :eek:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
it definitley sounds like an attention seeking thing... my mums cat came from a rescue home, it has always been a reallywhiney miaowy cat which we're not used to at all, she'd had it about 6months and it started peeing everywhere, tedoc thought it may have cistitus so gave it antibis but after a few months it transpired it was depressed:eek: :lol: it was put on cat drugs!!! given like a glade plug in air freshner thing that released happy cat pheremones:lol: all gravy since:D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmmm, well she doesn't like being kept in and makes it her ambition to race us to the door, so maybe that's upsetting her? We've also decorated the front room and don't let them in there. They always cry and scratch at the door to be let in. So maybe she thinks we're ignoring her? Especially as she was used to sleeping on our bed.

Do you think it's worth taking her to the vet? As it's not very often though I'm not sure if they could pinpoint anything?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
cats are so fickle, mine are on a 'I'm not eating that cat food/biscuit, or that one, or that one etc ' :rolleyes:
I've now got 4 bags of biscuits and about 6 different varieties of cat food, they've always eaten whiskas, sent to try us I'm sure :lol:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
maxrox85 said:
it definitley sounds like an attention seeking thing... my mums cat came from a rescue home, it has always been a reallywhiney miaowy cat which we're not used to at all, she'd had it about 6months and it started peeing everywhere, tedoc thought it may have cistitus so gave it antibis but after a few months it transpired it was depressed:eek: :lol: it was put on cat drugs!!! given like a glade plug in air freshner thing that released happy cat pheremones:lol: all gravy since:D
oh wouldn't it be great if they could invent a human version :lol:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dirtypidj said:
cats are so fickle, mine are on a 'I'm not eating that cat food/biscuit, or that one, or that one etc ' :rolleyes:
I've now got 4 bags of biscuits and about 6 different varieties of cat food, they've always eaten whiskas, sent to try us I'm sure :lol:
Ah, we've finally sussed that one. :lol: We now have to buy a different brand/variety each week. Buy it twice in a row and it get's abandonned. Buy it in bulk and it get's wasted. Buy more than a small bag of munchies and they'll refuse it. And never in gravy!!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
My cat started doing this. And it was cystitis.
We put him on meat for a while (he norm has biscuits), and he had antibiotics.

It was little wees, and often. Sometimes he was squating and nothing was really coming out.
He's better now though :]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When she first did it and she went to the vets he gave her tablets for cystitis but said she wasn't showing all the symptoms. It's not little and often, it's 5 times in 3.5 years, twice in the last month. We just never know when it's going to happen next. :lol:

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
alfietinker said:
When she first did it and she went to the vets he gave her tablets for cystitis but said she wasn't showing all the symptoms. It's not little and often, it's 5 times in 3.5 years, twice in the last month. We just never know when it's going to happen next. :lol:
Have you rubbed her nose in it when she does it?
Thats what your meant to do to litter train isn't it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts