Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short (ish anyway :D ), sold a laptop on ebay before Christmas...it was fully working but supplied minus an HD as I'd removed it and dropped it whilst cleaning it for selling on ebay. Woops. All this was mentioned in the description. Mid december - the buyer has received laptop, left me positive feedback - everything seems fine.

Get an email a few days later saying the laptop has a 'faulty battery' ie it won't hold a charge when not plugged in apparently. I emailed him back saying it was working fine when I sent it (it was) and that maybe he had damaged something when installing the new HD. Reassured him that I hadn't lied or deceived him blah blah blah...

Then nothing more until tonight when he claims the Wifi card is now faulty and that he'll be sending a dispute through paypal/ebay unless I refund him the full amount once it's returned or part refund him for the 'faulty' parts. Personally reckon he's clueless when it comes to PCs due to the terminology he uses and is pretty fucking rude in the emails too.

Now I know the laptop was working fine before I sent it, he's left positive feedback on ebay so can he enter into a dispute with me or what? I hear paypal sides with the buyers generally...:rolleyes:

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated - I'm half tempted to just get him to send it back and refund him but I don't have the money anymore.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
tell him to post it back to you recorded and you´ll refund him upon receipt and after you´ve tested it.

chances are hes got a broken one, bought yours.. and is sending you the broken one ;)

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I'd see how far he is willing to take it, I had a deal go bad on ebay a couple of years ago and basically the bloke was just taking the piss, when I refused to cave in to his demands and threats of legal action (over £50 :rolleyes: ) he just did one.

If you where honest in your description stand your ground. Good luck, I know what a pain in the arse this can be.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
or ask him to send you proof, pics etc ?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
16,814 Posts
You sold him the laptop and the parts that are now faulty were working fine at the time.Tell him to fuck off,it`s a private sale...he maybe trying it on.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
was it a dell 1501 u sold to him ?
hes bought a few of them ;)

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
First thing to do is to move all your funds out of PayPal and into your bank account. If he takes it to a dispute Ebay can only refund him if you have the funds in your PayPal account. They can't access your bank account ;)

As said above, ask him to return it via recorded delivery and you'll refund it after you've tested it. Chances are they're trying to pull a fast one!

OP

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
so lOng as your description was accurate and honest, its his risk buying used stuff in a private sale

don't know how paypal dispute thing works tho

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Pay Pal generally only refund if the buyer does not get the item, there not interested if somthing was described incorrectly (i know yours wasnt) so move your money out of your pp acount becouse as soon as the puts in a despute they take the money for a few weeks until they moke there minds up

andy

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
You sold him the laptop and the parts that are now faulty were working fine at the time.Tell him to fuck off,it`s a private sale...he maybe trying it on.
I had this. I sold a head unit and CD change and the bloke went off on one, saying the CD changer didn't work despite the fact it didwhen I took it out f the car. He said I was to refund him about 70% of the price and he'd send me back the CD canger. I did and then ust gave it to a mate who got it working. Clearly the bloke wanted the head unit and conned me out of it.

I've got an odd one going on at the moment, I sold a bonnet about 2 weeks ago, some guy won it, sent m the money and has made no attempt at getting it or replying to my messages asking what hes doing? :confused:

Guess I could resell it :lol:

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
First thing to do is to move all your funds out of PayPal and into your bank account. If he takes it to a dispute Ebay can only refund him if you have the funds in your PayPal account. They can't access your bank account ;)

OP
If your bank account is linked to Paypal they can. They just helped themselves to money that had already cleared into our account and held it until the dispute was resolved. And of course, being the seller we lost.:mad:

·
Registered
506 Posts
If the guys left you positive feedback then surely that meant he was happy with the item when he recieved it? He cant really dispute it now can he? Its like receiving a box in the post, leaving it unopened and leaving positive feedback and then later finding that its empty...Should of made sure he was happy with it before leaving feedback in my opinion?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update...it's 'escalated' into a dispute. He's now saying if I give him £60 then he'll consider that fair and drop the claim. The laptop sold for just over £120... :rolleyes::lol:

So, not sure what to do really, paypal has given me a list of options. One of them is to accept his 'offer' of £60 refund, another is to disagree completely which takes me to the next stage and another is to offer a full refund if he returns the item.

Now I KNOW I'm in the right but it's a case of whether paypal will see this..anyone got any first hand experience? Lot of horror stories out there about paypal passing the debt on to bailiffs and the paypal help is shit all use. All my money is long out of the account, bank card has been removed and paypal direct debits cancelled. I do have -£147 balance now though...

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
i have £60 taken from me when a buyer claimed they didnt get the item i have proof of delivary it took me 4 months to get my money back normally they only let the buyer win if they never got the item not if its not working etc so in my experience you should be fine

andy

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PS - he claimed I'd been ignoring him as I hadn't replied within 24 hours. :lol:

And I got this email not so long ago

hope your happy about that laptop you sent me, people like you destroy ebay
:lol:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have £60 taken from me when a buyer claimed they didnt get the item i have proof of delivary it took me 4 months to get my money back normally they only let the buyer win if they never got the item not if its not working etc so in my experience you should be fine

andy
Cheers, hopefully thats the case here...reckon I'll be 'taking it further.'

·
Registered
16,814 Posts
Quick update...it's 'escalated' into a dispute. He's now saying if I give him £60 then he'll consider that fair and drop the claim. The laptop sold for just over £120... :rolleyes::lol:

So, not sure what to do really, paypal has given me a list of options. One of them is to accept his 'offer' of £60 refund, another is to disagree completely which takes me to the next stage and another is to offer a full refund if he returns the item.

Now I KNOW I'm in the right but it's a case of whether paypal will see this..anyone got any first hand experience? Lot of horror stories out there about paypal passing the debt on to bailiffs and the paypal help is shit all use. All my money is long out of the account, bank card has been removed and paypal direct debits cancelled. I do have -£147 balance now though...
Fuck him and fuck paypal.He may return the item...but he`s probably taken out the good parts and swapped them with duffers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts