Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and me mate have had a thort we r guna get 2 kayaks and try to get ourselfs accros sheffield through the rivers and streams and storm drains :crazy:


R we guna die :eek: we have never tryed it b4


What kayaks do we buy ie lenght type and shit

Any advise would be nice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
id say you would be better with shorter ones if your going to use storm drains, maybe 7foot ones will do you. sounds like a laugh!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres a tunels an wiers got a map and i could get from the back of my office past me mates office and finish within a mile ov our houses


gota be worth a try :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46,359 Posts
I used to love Kayaking, but whateever you do DONT use candles to keep warm.



Cos you cant have your kayak and heat it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
...if your messing around like that you want either Slalom kayaks or BAT's [Bathing Advance Trainers]...

Slalom...



BAT...



...as both these types will give you the manouverability[sp..?] you would require for this type of work...oh and spraydecks will be a bonus too...lmfao... ;) :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one


Was guna try it on our 440 jetski's but theres that much shit in the river don it would fuck our props up


We have been looking at the Bic ones seem good value r they o.k ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
:lol: i think you are all mad, isnt it the wrong time of year?? if your are goind to die by drowning wouldnt it be nicer to do it when the water is warm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
boogiewoogiewoo said:
:lol: i think you are all mad, isnt it the wrong time of year?? if your are goind to die by drowning wouldnt it be nicer to do it when the water is warm
Belive it or not the water is stil quite warm at the moment
:eek:

It would no be the drownding that kills us mor like the toxic wast pumped into an industrial citys rivers or may be crashing into a shoping trolly :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,754 Posts
If you're determined to use kayaks, your after touring kayaks for that trip...


I coach kayaking on the Thames, 3 days a week and I see lots of peeps go by in these. We race kayaks like these...


...but I'm a canoeist at heart, and for the kind of trip you're describing I'd definately use a canoe...



Shane
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would that get down wiers ? there r quite a few and dont flow mutch water over them unless it has been raining ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
your not convincing me! death by poisioning or shopping trolleys :crazy:

i hope you enjoy yourselves, you should try and find a way of filming it and posting it on here
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have had a reccy of the mision and it wont be easy

Got to find a place in the boat for some bolt crops ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
shane r said:
If you're determined to use kayaks, your after touring kayaks for that trip...


Shane
...I thought of those Shane but reckon if they are on about Storm drains and weirs that maybe something a bit more manoverable might be the way to go...
...nice to see the picture of the racing K1...I used to paddle for Harlow Kayak Club, then went on to race for Leaside Kayak Club down on the Lea...down Big Hill off of Leabridge Road...many weekends spent at Holme Pier Point National Watersports Centre up at Nottingham...lmao...K1, K2 and K4...now K4's were fun...the 3000m was a blast...when you had 3 or 4 of the things all trying to make the turn at the top or bottom of the course...paddles clashing, or using their deck for leverage... ;) :D ...suppose it all depends on what Drunkenbum wants to do with it...:lol:...just cruising...or a bit of mucking about...mainly straight line stuff...or a bit of sky-larking and manuovarability[sp]...bit like cars...they can all get you from A to B...some of it comes down to the style...and some comes down to personal choice... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
boogiewoogiewoo said:
your not convincing me! death by poisioning or shopping trolleys :crazy:

i hope you enjoy yourselves, you should try and find a way of filming it and posting it on here
but only the bits that are dangerous or when you hit shopping trolleys :) the gorey bits are more audience captivating, :lol:

not really a sadistic person just a bored housewife ;)
 

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
Joined
·
12,138 Posts
sounds like you gonna kill yourself, rivers this time of year are filling up to full flood. the river may look calm, but trust me there are some bad currents;) wiers are deffo a killer, if you see it flat then its gonna keep you stuck in it. let alone the shit stuck in there under the surface.
I've been river running for over 20 years;)

go on ebay and look for summat like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kayak-paddle-...9QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

don't go in without a boyancy aid, at least your dead body will float then;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,754 Posts
Swampy{UK} said:
...I thought of those Shane but reckon if they are on about Storm drains and weirs that maybe something a bit more manoverable might be the way to go...
...nice to see the picture of the racing K1...I used to paddle for Harlow Kayak Club, then went on to race for Leaside Kayak Club down on the Lea...down Big Hill off of Leabridge Road...many weekends spent at Holme Pier Point National Watersports Centre up at Nottingham...lmao...K1, K2 and K4...now K4's were fun...the 3000m was a blast...when you had 3 or 4 of the things all trying to make the turn at the top or bottom of the course...paddles clashing, or using their deck for leverage... ;) :D ...suppose it all depends on what Drunkenbum wants to do with it...:lol:...just cruising...or a bit of mucking about...mainly straight line stuff...or a bit of sky-larking and manuovarability[sp]...bit like cars...they can all get you from A to B...some of it comes down to the style...and some comes down to personal choice... :D
Nice one swampy. We still go to Nott for regatta (K4 fun n all that).
Another main question is how much gear they're going to take with.

With no experience, I wouldn't try going over low-flow weirs for a cert. You'll end up deck-side down fast. You'll have to portage and in that case...weight becomes an issue. Something stabl;e and manoeverable would be the way to go if you're not carrying anything. Something like an old Perception Dancer perhaps...

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
we have seen some like whith plasic ones that say Bic on them got rounded ends and look about 8' long

They r old ones that our local country park is selling
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top