Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a bog standard Type 2 and get 25-30mpg. Has anybody tried an LPG conversion? What did it cost and what were the pros and cons? Any other advice on this topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
My 68 beetle is booked in for next wednesday to have this done. The company that supplies the kit is http://www.fesautogas.co.uk/ They are the only place i know of that do a proper air cooled kit. The website is a bit naff so your best bet is to ring up and ask about it, also ask where their nearest installer is to you.

I'm getting a 30 litre tank mounted in the front above the petrol tank. The engine will run on either petrol or lpg and you have a little switch in the car to change between the two. Youre meant to start on petrol and then swap to lpg after a while because there is a pre heater running from the exhaust to help vapourise the propane. When you flick over to lpg there is a little inline cut off that stops the petrol getting into the carb. There is a regulator that mixes the lpg and air then feeds it through the carb like normal.

They tell me that the engine will run pretty much the same, with just a little decrease in power. lpg burns much cleaner though so your plugs and oil should stay cleaner longer.

Remind me to let you know how it turns out when ive actually driven it :D

·
Banned
6,339 Posts
Tingly Bill said:
My 68 beetle is booked in for next wednesday to have this done. The company that supplies the kit is http://www.fesautogas.co.uk/ They are the only place i know of that do a proper air cooled kit. The website is a bit naff so your best bet is to ring up and ask about it, also ask where their nearest installer is to you.

I'm getting a 30 litre tank mounted in the front above the petrol tank. The engine will run on either petrol or lpg and you have a little switch in the car to change between the two. Youre meant to start on petrol and then swap to lpg after a while because there is a pre heater running from the exhaust to help vapourise the propane. When you flick over to lpg there is a little inline cut off that stops the petrol getting into the carb. There is a regulator that mixes the lpg and air then feeds it through the carb like normal.

They tell me that the engine will run pretty much the same, with just a little decrease in power. lpg burns much cleaner though so your plugs and oil should stay cleaner longer.

Remind me to let you know how it turns out when ive actually driven it :D
Small drop in power?

10-15% drop in power more like....

Not so much an issue with the big Yank/Rover V8's that are the usual recipients of LPG convo's, but devastaing to a standard flat-4 which wasn't over endowed to start off with.

Also, i think if you do the sums, you'll have to be doing a fairly serious mileage to make your money back.

Spend the grand on a small diesel for running about, and save the VW for weekends and high days. it'll be cheaper and won't desproy the re-sale value of your bug.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
got to agree with that. Its a waste of hard earned cash to spend on a system that reduces power on such a small engine. I had LPG on my bus when i bought it, and it ran (sorry, walked) like a dog. Back on petrol now and she flies !!! you would have to keep the car several years and cover 1000's of miles to make it well worth it

·
Registered
33 Posts
HAVING RUN A LPG FUELED CAR IT IS TRUE YOU LOOSE A BIT OF POWER BUT ITS ALSO WORTH KNOWING THAT WITH LPG YOU CAN RUN AT MUCH HIGHER COMPRESSION WITH OUT PINKING SO WITH A BIT OF WORK YOU COULD GET YOUR LOST POWER BACK! AND YOU CAN AFFORD TO PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN A BIT MORE, ALSO DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY OF THE KIT FITTED THE POWER LOSS CAN BE KEPT TO A MINIMUM OR IN SOME CASES ACTUALY INCREASE AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, I KNOW YOU CAN ALSO GET ECU CONTROLLED LPG INJECTION NOW AS WELL WHICH AGAIN WOULD MORE THAN LIKELY OUT PERFORM A SOLEX ANY DAY

·
Banned
6,339 Posts
NIZBUG said:
HAVING RUN A LPG FUELED CAR IT IS TRUE YOU LOOSE A BIT OF POWER BUT ITS ALSO WORTH KNOWING THAT WITH LPG YOU CAN RUN AT MUCH HIGHER COMPRESSION WITH OUT PINKING SO WITH A BIT OF WORK YOU COULD GET YOUR LOST POWER BACK! AND YOU CAN AFFORD TO PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN A BIT MORE, ALSO DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY OF THE KIT FITTED THE POWER LOSS CAN BE KEPT TO A MINIMUM OR IN SOME CASES ACTUALY INCREASE AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, I KNOW YOU CAN ALSO GET ECU CONTROLLED LPG INJECTION NOW AS WELL WHICH AGAIN WOULD MORE THAN LIKELY OUT PERFORM A SOLEX ANY DAY
Bit of a cost difference though.

can anyone tell me where the break-even mileage is over say 3 years on cost of conversion/fuel cost saving ??

·
Registered
33 Posts
IF YOU HAVE THE SPACE AT HOME YOU COULD DO WHAT MY MATE DOES AND HAVE YOUR OWN LPG TANK AT HOME TO FILL UP FROM THEN YOU CAN BY IT DIRECT IN BULK FOR 25P A LTR OR AT LEAST IT WAS THE LAST TIME I SPOKE TO HIM SO MAY BE A BIT MORE NOW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts