Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

recently bought a set of inertia rear seat belts from heritage - fine, but the instructions are for front seat belts...
I did have static lapbelts in the back - so I know where all the bolt holes are, etc..but the only way i've found to fit these inertia belts is to bolt the reel/box to the bolt hole near the rear window - kind of sits behind your head when your sat in back seat...
when you yank the belt it stops - but when wearing the belt & simulating a harsh braking action - it doesn't..
plus I think it looks fugly by the window..

oh yes, the reason why i need to fit new belts are:
1) old lap belts are slightly worn
2) lap belts won't fit round the 2 child seats - way too short

anybody fitted inertia belts ok in their bug? please help!!

cheers
BM :)

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Hi BM, I've yet to fit a pair of inertia belts in the rear of my Beetle but it's something I plan to do for the same reason you mention. The only way I've seen inertias fitted in the rear are exactly as you say - with the reel behind you head next to the rear window. I've not heard anything that queries their safety and the fact that you say they work when you yank them hard surely must be some reassurance? You say they don't work when you simulate a harsh braking action but I would imagine that is something that's quite difficult to do unless you are actually in that situation. the movement/force generated by your own body moving in a quick forward motion cannot match the force created by a car moving at even a low speed of 30mph and coming to a sudden stop. And as for the 'fugly'ness, what would you rather have - 2 x small unsightly objects near your windows, or 2 x badly/fatally injured children? Sorry to sound harsh, but personally I know what I'd rather have.

·
Registered
407 Posts
recently bought a set of inertia rear seat belts from heritage - fine, but the instructions are for front seat belts...
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! :rolleyes:

Yes, the reels go at the top. I didn't have any trouble getting them to work, though. They should be mounted so the mechanism is ABOVE the mounting bolt, which isn't obvious.

Yes, they are a bit unsightly, but then VW never designed the mounting points for inertias - a matter of function over style I'm afraid.

The belts from Heritage (and everyone else), I'm sure are from Securon - their website is quite helpful - here.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts