Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just applied this morning to do it at northampton general,
as when i was in there i was bored to tears.
just wondering if anyone else does or has done it any tips or advice if they let me loose.
involves fund raising to so if anyone has any ideas on that front too

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,458 Posts
madferrit2 said:
just applied this morning to do it at northampton general,
as when i was in there i was bored to tears.
just wondering if anyone else does or has done it any tips or advice if they let me loose.
involves fund raising to so if anyone has any ideas on that front too
The trickt o a good show is all about the prep - it's not just stick a track on and then do another.

Lots of studio notes and the like.

You don't exactly script stuff but if you're going to do a back-announce to a track, for instance, with some news item or gossip about that artist then it helps to have it written down in note form rather than trying to remember the details from the top of your head.

Only other thing I would say is about pace. Too many people talk very sloooooooowly when speaking through a microphone and this come across even slower when listening. Try to speak slightly faster than normal and it will sound a more normal speed at the other end. Me, I always talked a hell of a lot faster but that was ust my style.

Oh, one last thing. No dead air. 1 second of silence sounds like eons.

Good luck and enjoy yourself! :)

EDIT: Quite a good format for any non mix radio show is...

Link/announce
track
link/announce
track
track
back announce/link/announce
track
(repeat)

Basically a 1-2-1-1-2-1 music pattern.

Edit again: Get in the habit of being able to talk over intros and stop talking just before the lyric comes in. That makes things sound so much more professional and also complies with certain broadcast regs.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I expect you'll be doing some sort of Ward Round. They can be a bit strange to start with, odd sights & smells (breathing through your mouth is important sometimes!) Treat every patient the same, you'll be suprised which ones make the best requests. Imagine the elderly patients are your grandparents and treat them in the same way.

Always try and get the story behind their request it can often be used on air and makes the show more personal.

Don't go in with the intention of playing your favourite music, your job is to entertain your audience with their taste of music, whether you love it or hate.
Speaking of which, read up trivia on Frank Sinatra, Glen Miller, Matt Monroe etc THAT will come in handy.

If you can, go in on different nights to work with different presenters. Look and learn!

Try and be a PRESENTER not a D.J.! ;) :)

If you're serious about it then buy this book and read it cover to cover, it's FANTASTIC!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-R...8551138?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180616528&sr=8-1

Have fun and remember, you're cheering up a lot of people. :D

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
I used to allegedly be a pirate many moons ago but I've also recently done some announcements over the tannoy at the GSF/Angel VW Club open day. The most valuable skill you'll learn is how to fill in dead air with random banter.

One thing I've also found is a little humour with the odd innuendo goes a long way!
For example - I get handed a list of announcements to make:
"Okay, we've got the tombowler as well as guess the weight of the.... I can't say that! Is that legal?! Oh I see now, guess the weight of the CAKE! I thought you'd written guess the weight of the co.... (stops abruptly)" ;)
Obviously there's certain things you can't get away with but if you raise a smile it's a good job done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts