Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T'other half wants to take me for a fly around in one of his lickle 4 seater planes at the weekend but I discovered a couple of years ago (after trying abseiling) that I'm petrified of heights.

I've not been in a plane since and while I'm sure I'll be grand from a great big-like-sitting-in-ya-living-room type plane, I'm not sure if I'll hold it together in a pissy little beetle-with-wings? :eek:

Anyone afraid of heights who has managed this or will I brick it before I even yet on the plane? :( / :)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
My dad used to go parachuting and the only time I went up in a very little plane was when I was about 5. I sat on my mum's lap and she threw up all over me :lol:

·
Registered
78,049 Posts
I'm not keen on heights as in standing near the edge of a cliff or going up a scaff tower etc. I can't climb to the top of a scaff tower.

But been up in two and four seater planes with no bother. Good fun. Be a shame to miss out on it. Go for it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Go for it...and have a go at flying it as well if you're other half will let you....brilliant experience and at least you'll feel in control which should hopefully take over the fear factor :)

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big_Burd said:
Go for it...and have a go at flying it as well if you're other half will let you....
That's what he wants me to do - so I'll either have a go at flying and have an amazing time or spend the entire hour with me hands over me eyes praying we make it home before I'm sick! :p

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I HATE heights - and I mean HATE HATE HATE heights. However, I still learnt to fly a powered glider and managed to happily do hours and hours of light 2 seater flying. Love it and wish I had the cash to go for my PPL now.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Kak myself going up a ladder!!!

Happy to strop hang out the back a Chinnok helicopter @ 5000ft!!

Now got 150hrs in Mr Cessna's finest aircooled C172

Go for it you knowq you want to!! :D

SYNCS

·
Banned
41 Posts
little planes are great, go for it went in loads as a kid as one of my dads friend was an aerobatics champion. but it feels better not being connected to the ground it is a completely different feeling zipping around even at low heights compared to being on top of a structre that is connected to the ground.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
i went in a plane made by saab that was a 7 seater, bloody frightning!
a friend of mine went in the same one and half way to gurnsey one of the engines stopped, they said don't worry but he said he shat himself for the rest of the trip :D

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
being frightened of heights and flying really shouldnt be assosiated. when you are in an aircraft its totally different to standing at the edge of a cliff. You are in something that has been designed to be in the air.

I hate heights, but flying is a totally different kettle of fish for me. Try a 2 seat or single seat glider. i.e no engine to begin with :D

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
I've been in a glider.. it had a cracked windscreen !!,.. that was scary because even though I knew that the plane was kinda designed to crashed land, it was still very unnerving not having an engine.

And I've been in a small plane .. the pilot took his hands off the steering wheel stick, and turned around to talk to us .. not looking where he was going :eek: , and then he circled around and turned upside down a bit, the tree tops looked liked brocolli :lol:

Do it !! :D

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I'm taking a course of flying lessons just now in a 2 seat single prop aeroplane.

The plane itself is a bit flimsy .... door doesnt seem to close properly . seatbelts a bit "iffy", tends to bounce around a lot in turbulence ...........

Its quite good fun but driving a fast car is much more exciting.
85/90 knots airspeed is about (140mph -ish) but you dont have any feeling of speed.

The best feeling is when the plane banks into a left turn and you think you are about to fall out the door!

Have fun

Regds
David

·
Banned
14,290 Posts
peelo said:
I'm not keen on heights as in standing near the edge of a cliff or going up a scaff tower etc. I can't climb to the top of a scaff tower.

But been up in two and four seater planes with no bother. Good fun. Be a shame to miss out on it. Go for it.
snap :)

jumped out too - was so high (10,000 ft) it jjust didn't feel real any more !

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
DO IT.

It is great. I love flying. I am currently trying to save money to allow me to finish my PPL :D

When you are up there it feels so different to being up a ladder, or on the edge of a cliff. It is a brilliant feeling. One that can only be beated by your first solo flight.

Oh, and 90 knots is 104mph ;)

·
Bright Eyes
6,898 Posts
youll love it once your up there...

go for it

Chelle x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts