Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Babylon
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting my toungue pierced on Friday after work :eek:
What are the pro's & con's guys? .... And yes the girlfriend already pointed out one pro that she thinks it's a good idea for the obvious extra pleasures she'll get out of it!!! :D

How much does it hurt? (Already had my nipple done, so no probs with the old pain threshold!)

How long will it swell up for?
Can I go drinking Saturday nite or will I have to lay off the booze for a few days?
What sort of aftercare will I have to do .... Iron tablets, Salt mouthwashes &/or Listerine?

Advice needed so I can make the decision to have it done Friday or not as it's a friend's birthday nite out Saturday & don't really want to be totally sober :( I understand it probably wouldn't be the best idea to get rat arsed as that I'm sure would thin the blood somewhat!

Cheers guys

Rick :hangloose

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,458 Posts
Not too bad, actually (nipple is FAR worse).

Start taking Ibuprofen this evening/tomorrow (to build it up in yer system) and keep on that for a few days after. It'll stop your tongue becoming like a sock with a tennis ball in it.

Aftercare is salt water solution or a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash. If you're feeling brave then apparently drinking your own urine is good for healing too.

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
It doesn't hurt to have it done but the pain comes after with the swelling....a dull ache really. Don't expect to be able to eat solids for about a week and talking is a hit and miss affair. Alcohol isn't recommended but I want out the following night with no ill effectes....apart from a hangover of course.

Pro's....It's great for stimulation of certain areas.

Con's....Tooth emamel can be worn away if yoou get into the habit of playing with it. I'm very aware of not doing so.

Go for it....your GF will love you for it. ;)

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
ive got mine done and tbh theres no pros or cons for me...i forget its there 90% of the time :)

as MAD says salty mouthwashes, didnt hurt to have it done. swells up for about a week and becomes achy rather than painful.

i was told not to drink yeast based alkyhole, spirits were fine :)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,458 Posts
girlofleisure said:
Con's....Tooth emamel can be worn away if yoou get into the habit of playing with it. I'm very aware of not doing so.
How true. You'll chip the odd tooth, too.

girlofleisure said:
Go for it....your GF will love you for it. ;)
Yep! :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Everybody's different, but I didn't find it too painful. More sore and achey than pain. But most of that was gone in five days.
Took a natural anti-infamatory remedy for 24 hrs before (Arnica), and a couple of Ibuprofen an hour before. Then kept on taking the Arnica and Ibuprofen for just over a week. I hardly had any swelling to speak of - nothing like some of the stories you hear. So little swelling and soreness that I had it downsized after only six days (would've been on the fifth day, but couldn't make it back down to the piercers that day).
After ten days the last tiny amounts of soreness were completely gone, and I just had to look after it well for a few weeks after that.

Advantages. Good for licking :p ;) And good fun when kissing too, especially if your g/f has one too (if she hasn't got one, then this is one justification for her to get one).

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
emerald said:
ive got mine done and tbh theres no pros or cons for me...i forget its there 90% of the time :)

as MAD says salty mouthwashes, didnt hurt to have it done. swells up for about a week and becomes achy rather than painful.

i was told not to drink yeast based alkyhole, spirits were fine :)
I agree with Emerald, I've chipped some teeth too like MAD said, and Nipple is far far worse! Dez has got his done too, luckely though neither of us got it for the apparent oral sex imrpovement as neither of us found it made any difference :crazy:

DO NOT try to eat solid food while its healing, you will chew on both the piercing and your tongue. Oh and I was lucky mine only took 5 days to heal, dez's took about 7 which I htink is the average. I found ice lollies helped the acheing and the swelling.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Watching your mate sat next to you get it done first is a mistake.

However it dosnt really hurt. Aches a lot later on, but dosnt hurt. Took me about 4 days before the swelling had gone down enough for me to speak normally.

Eating solid food seemed to take forever while my tongue was swollen. In the first few weeks I occasionly bit down on the bar instead of what I was eating.

I play with mine all the time with what appears to be no ill effects so far. It's been in since 1999. I play with mine a lot, and when I can't play with it I chew it. This has led to me stripping the threads and breaking bars. If you put the bar through the bottom then you only end up swallowing the ball and have time to get a new bar in.

It is though Best thing I have ever spent money on, I actually convinced a girlf to get her hood peirced off of how good the tongue bar is.

Oh and don't use it until it's healed, or like me you'll probably damage it and have the whole thing take longer to heal. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
The worse bit is when it "pops" through, oh that and having your tongue held in a pair of barbequing tongs while dribble runs down your chin!
The second worse part is going to see an oral surgeon for something unrelated and being told that the enamel on the backs of my teeth is wearing away after having it in there 10-odd years and not playing with it for the last 9-odd, something which every dentist i have seen has failed to mention (probably because it means money in their pocket!) but obviously you are a grown up and able to make up your own mind about such matters :crazy:
It doesn't make much difference oral sex wise man-woman, but it does woman-man and kissing is fun, it really gives you something to play with :D

If you can, try and get it pierced toward the back, rather than at the front, it will affect your speech less and rattle on your teeth less too.
Also, something i noticed was that i experienced some "pressure type" pains in the roof of my mouth through my nasal cavity. I'm a bruxxer and grinder and the bar was wedged up against the roof of my mouth whilst i was indulging :D
Get yourself a good supply of baby food and smash, and some straws will come in handy too if your tongue is swollen, it won't hurt as much to swallow your coider ;)
Have fun! I miss mine every day :(

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
my experience.....a little embarrasssing dribbling while the clamps are on, doesn't hurt at all to be done if the clamps are done right, ice pops are good for swelling. was like a bruisy feeling the next day. however even though it was a little swollen it was possible to eat normal foods as normal, just took a little longer to finish the meal:D (you can also get acryllic balls to minimise the de-enamelling effect for day to day wear)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
first one took the usual, about 5 days of
milkshakes/soup/mush then fine, had it done
twice more not long after and they settled down
pretty quickly, couple of days maybe.
keep hydrated otherwise the swelling gets worse.
i aint done bad, in a decade i think i've only bolloxed
up one of my teeth.

·
The Babylon
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers guys,

All good advice & taken it all on board! :)

Girlfriend has just (2 days ago) had one done through under her bottom lip with the flat plate on the inside. The bar sticks out really far and looks too big at the moment, but suppose thats like that to allow for swelling movement.
Not allowed to kiss her too much at the moment so she doesn't get any infections in it so I thought now would be a good time to have my toungue done so we're both out of action at the same time :D
She's going to find out if they are able to do it for me tomorrow and a price .... roughly how much will it be guys? Her one cost £28 I think it was.

Will post up some pics when it's done :)

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
i cant remember how much mine cost it was so long ago..

i had 3 labret bars cos mine always felt too big, once the swelling goes down she should go back and get hers changed too :)

the flat part of my stud started wearing away my gum, got quite painful at times so now i wear a ring in it...which didnt impress the olds :lol:

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
emerald said:

i had 3 labret bars cos mine always felt too big, once the swelling goes down she should go back and get hers changed too :)

the flat part of my stud started wearing away my gum, got quite painful at times so now i wear a ring in it...which didnt impress the olds :lol:
can you get plastic bits for them? I was put off getting it done as I figured it would have to rub on my teeth or gum and I didn't want to mess up my teeth anymore. I still want Dez to get his lip pierced.... I think it would quite suite him :)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i left the long bar in my tongue too long and that caused problems- it caught on my teeth and split a bit and the long bar moves back and for too much so now its healed with an odd little dent in my tongue where the split closed- still comfortable and i'm used to it now but be careful with after care and get a smaller bar as soon as the swelling goes down. my boyfriend loves it :)

·
The Babylon
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
emerald said:

Yes she's gonna get it changed down when it's healed to a smaller one with possibly a diamond style in it & get a ring for going out, as she's a social worker and can't look like her clients during the day, as she assesses & admits people to rehab! :)

So next question what sort of thing do I go for once the swelling's gone down? Straight bar with ball both end, or are there anything else more funky? Especially for nites out :incheek: Also does the toungue bar have to be surgical steel or can you go Titanium, cos I quite like the Titanium one in the top of my ear :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts