Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might sound like a strange question but does anyone employ someone to do odd jobs around the house? Like washing, ironing light cleaning etc? If so, how did you find them and what do they cost etc?

Just something I want to look into!

·
Registered
17,952 Posts
my mum has one for our house as they work long hours everyday and im normally at uni in the day and work in the evening
she's a little old lady that comes once a week on a tuesday, cleans the house top to bottom apart from my room
cleans the oven etc as well and if the windows or anything look dirty shel clean them too without being asked or anything!
mum pays her £16 a week for this, id say shes here for about 2 hours each time so about £8 an hour - not bad
personally though, I can't tell when she's been and when she hasn't as my mums a bit OCD with having the house like a bloody show home :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
we have a bulgarian woman that comes in on tuesdays for 4 hours, she's OK
£8 an hour
can't remember where were found her
we used to have a Polish cleaner, she was worthy of the epic boobs thread, a sad day when she left :D

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
We used to have one when I lived at home due to parents working long hours/shifts and having 3 lazy teenage kids :)

They never went into my room though, my mum told them I was old enough to do it myself :( . Still, the rest of the house was always nice and clean though!. Didnt cost an arm and a leg either from memory.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
We've recently had two.
Both through word of mouth, and both were shit in different ways.
If there's a next time. I'll use an agency.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My mum used to have a scouser - she was supposed to do about 3 hours a week I think but I caught her skiving tons and frankly the only way I could tell she'd been was because the bathrooms were dirtier than they were before she came. I don't know what she paid her, I think between 7 - 8 ph. She was very trustworthy though aside from leaving early and not doing her job very well.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We've recently had two.
Both through word of mouth, and both were shit in different ways.
If there's a next time. I'll use an agency.
Ditto, but I don't think there'll be a next time, I've been scared off somewhat. The last one came recommended by several friends. She broke stuff, went through drawers and pockets looking for stuff to nick (there was £50 in my suit pocket) used our cleaning equipment rather than her own, and sometimes left the cleaning for ther 13 yr old son to do. Oh, and she left it dirtier than when she started. All that in two weeks. The friends got rid of her too, turned out she was using their washing machines to do other people's washing (why not our washing machine? is ours not good enough for her?), subtly taking small amounts of food from the freezer, and in one case using their address!

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
We have one, a brilliant Polish girl called Lidia, who cleans for two hours, twice a week. My wife found her after trialling several others. Lidia's been with us for about a year now, she has keys to the house, cleans when we're at work. £35 per week well spent.

There are agencies who supply cleaners, but in our experience they're usually cowboys and you could have a different cleaner every time. Better to find someone you can get to know over a period of time, build up trust and then let them get on with it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My missus is a cleaner...gets £12.50/hr + £5/ day petrol money.She works 3 x 4 hour mornings.

Gets paid cash and often gets given food (posh stuff,they are pukka millionaires)...she can use their pool in the summer as well..

Real nice folk who appreciate good work..she got a £500 Xmas bonus this year:eek:

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
serious note what made you decide to have a cleaner?? are you literally that busy or just bone idle?? see the wife and I between us work over 100 hours a week, have a 3 yr old to contend with and still manage to do everything else at home, maybe its my working class background but I don't see the sense in paying someone my £££ to do something that I can do myself.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
Because when I've finished work, that my leisure time. To do with however I wish.
I occasionally cleaned up before she arrived :).

·
Registered
786 Posts
serious note what made you decide to have a cleaner?? are you literally that busy or just bone idle?? see the wife and I between us work over 100 hours a week, have a 3 yr old to contend with and still manage to do everything else at home, maybe its my working class background but I don't see the sense in paying someone my £££ to do something that I can do myself.
I can't knock people who want a cleaner...gives 'working class' folk like my mrs some income and fits round the 3 kids 3 dogs and my 72 hour week quite nicely;)..

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Yes, we are busy, each working 14-hour days, sometimes more, every weekday. I do all the cooking, washing and 90% of the grocery shopping. My wife's much busier than me and often working away from home. We used to spend all of Saturday afternoon giving the house a good going over, but now we have Saturdays to ourselves, which is brilliant. That's worth a lot more to me than £35.

Despite being mindful of sounding like one of Python's four Yorkshiremen, I've met few people with a bleaker, more sub-working class background than me. 'Two-hundred-and-fifty of us living in't shoebox in middle o't road...'

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
I don't see it as a class issue.
My mum was a cleaner, my old man a gardner. I was raised in a Council house. Left school with fuck all, and worked on the production line at Vauxhalls. Mrs pedro worked in a chippy. If we can find the money for someone to do a bit of hoovering and dusting, so we don't have to at the weekend. we will.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.