Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
People know me
31,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Danny,
We would like to take the opportunity to share some very important information with you regarding Environmental Permitting Regulations. This regulation applies to all businesses, as well as private sellers who are selling used vehicle parts:​
  • •​
    If you are dismantling vehicles yourself, you must have a permit to do so and display the permit number in your item description. If you do not have a permit, you are operating illegally.​
  • •​
    If you are not breaking vehicles yourself, you must obtain these from a verified source that has a permit to depollute and dismantle end of life vehicles.​
We are asking you to familiarise yourself with the regulations and to end any of your listings that are not compliant with the above requirements. Please note that your eBay account is at risk if you fail to comply.​
For more information, please visit our help pages and GOV.UK website.​
All the best,
eBay​
can anyone shed any light? TIA

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
It only applied to businesses last time i saw it mentioned a few months back. I think it was a trial with the gov back then. Looks like ebay also want private sellers to also comply now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Ebay don't care about private sellers as 90% of stuff sold is from businesses anyway.
Its probably impossible to get the required permit if you're just joe public selling off a few dozen parts from old restorations.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I guess we'll just have to see how rigorous ebay are with enforcing this. As you say, Joe Public won't get a permit for selling off old parts that they have upgraded, they are not dismantling an end of life car.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,395 Posts
I ignore it all the time. It's a bunch of legislation that is impossible to apply to piles of parts that have lain unused for years, that were stripped long before any of it came into force.
EOL and waste disposal licences are way too expensive for Joe Public, and the waste control regs (for fluids, batteries etc.) are totally impossible to comply with at home.

Everybody understands the need to control commercial dismantling operations, but to think it should be carried over to individuals is typical of the clueless, pen-pushing idiots that inhabit the halls of power.

How long before you need a Basic Hygiene Certificate to make dinner for anyone but yourself?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this and will royally screw selling on eBay if enforced.... I kinda understand why they are doing it, but christ this will batter the used parts market if they get their teeth into it...
Who else has had one of these messages and since when did they start sending them?
Danny, are you selling lots of used car parts and in what categories? modern or classic?

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
I had similar trying to sell some LED ceiling downlighters that I had purchased in error from Screwfix and just wanted to move them on. Every time I relisted them, I got a message that as I was selling electrical goods I had to comply with some recycling directive. So as above, there was no distinction between private seller and wholesale/distributor.

·
People know me
31,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the first I've heard of this and will royally screw selling on eBay if enforced.... I kinda understand why they are doing it, but christ this will batter the used parts market if they get their teeth into it...
Who else has had one of these messages and since when did they start sending them?
Danny, are you selling lots of used car parts and in what categories? modern or classic?

yeah sell lots of bits mainly Type 3 parts, not sure which categories.

·
People know me
31,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So yesterday I used the help option on ebay for more info into this, and managed to get a call back and actually speak to someone, was put through to 3 different people, they said yes when selling second hand car parts you need this certificate, they didn'nt know how to get the certificate just said to check the GOV website, I couldn't see anywhere on there to apply for it, I gave the example of selling a car part on ebay.... so say I bought a steering wheel for my car from a car boot fair, take it home and it doesn't fit, obvs I can't take it back to the car boot seller, so to get rid of it I put it on ebay, will I need the certificate to sell it on ebay? Yes was the answer,

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
Sounds like they are just reading from a script. They haven’t thought about the fact that the people at the boot fair won’t have certificates either…

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
The other side to this I guess is it’s just eBay covering their backsides. If someone bought a part, fitted it, it failed and caused an accident they probably want a paper trail for blame. This also leads into people supplying fake parts which is probably what they are trying to crack down on.

I would just keep your head down tbh. There will always be a market for secondhand wheels and the like.

interestingly, when I listed my LED lights on Facebook, no warning messages.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
So Danny, have they actually banned you from selling? or warned you're going to face sanctions if you continue? Are you still able to list parts for sale, or have they quashed it completely?
Are you registered as a private or business seller with eBay?

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,395 Posts
How do they classify parts that you may have replaced during a restoration? There has been no end of life vehicle, so no licence required for dismantling, or waste disposal.
I can see a massive drop in sales on ebay, and facebook marketplace getting rather busy...

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,395 Posts
Thinking about it, are they going to extend this to all used parts? Will people be stopped from selling on forums?

This could all end up going far deeper than annoying sellers on fleabay.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
This could all end up going far deeper than annoying sellers on fleabay.
Exactly. Like or loath, eBay have often been at the sharp end of enabling online transactions for the masses and where they have led, or reacted to the imposition of regulation, most others have followed.... It's too early to be deeply concerned about yet, but it bears mulling over...

What other platforms are there for selling car parts (that you might not know the value of) to a wide audience?

·
People know me
31,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Danny, have they actually banned you from selling? or warned you're going to face sanctions if you continue? Are you still able to list parts for sale, or have they quashed it completely?
Are you registered as a private or business seller with eBay?
not been banned or warned, not had any other messages from ebay since, I listed a couple of items yesterday with no issues.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Having been 'migrated' to eBay's managed payment system (compulsorily I may add) I now find a new clause in the Fees section....
£16.80 charge for a 'dispute'...

But worse - 2.4% fee charged on total spent by buyer (incl. shipping, sales tax, handling charges etc.) on any item you sell that is bought by someone overseas! This is on top of the 12.8% charge for selling already levied. I've never seen that before.... Did you ever get clobbered with a hefty fee selling stuff through GSP? I know I shan't be selecting 'List internationally with GSP' any more....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts