Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started running regularly again a couple of months ago. Only doing about 4 miles a night, but want to decrease frequency but increase length of my runs (oo-er). Just got back from a run, and am fucking knackered :yawn:

Any keen runners here who might have some running tips?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Iain.

thegavster - yep, every night. Correction, every week night, I usually have the weekend off to recover, but as I'm in London tomorrow and may not be able to go, I slipped a Sunday one in :D

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
I run - but mostly on mountains!
Girl of Leisure on here, running is her scene

I too would suggest drop the frequency and perhaps do something like this - 2 miles Monday, 4 on wednesday, 8 on Friday or Saturday.

When you are coasting the 8 miles - say add 2 miles on to them all.

Make certain you have good running shoes, and you have orthotics in your shoes if you are pronate or the other one. How to check - take a look at your every day trainers - if the wear pattern on the sole of the trainer is at all odd, asymetric, or down at heel - get a podiatrist to check you out. A private check will cost between 50 and 80 squid - but balance that against knackerd knees, ankles, legs etc. nada, nicht, rien.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
metric_thumbs said:

I too would suggest drop the frequency and perhaps do something like this - 2 miles Monday, 4 on wednesday, 8 on Friday or Saturday.

Make certain you have good running shoes, and you have orthotics in your shoes if you are pronate or the other one. How to check - take a look at your every day trainers - if the wear pattern on the sole of the trainer is at all odd, asymetric, or down at heel - get a podiatrist to check you out. A private check will cost between 50 and 80 squid - but balance that against knackerd knees, ankles, legs etc. nada, nicht, rien.
When I started to go regularly, I went to a runners' shop in Bristol, and went on a pressure pad running thing, and they advised me accordingly. As you say, knackered knees are no good to anyone. My running machine has been out of action for a while, and whilst that was kinder to my old knees, it was boring, and at least running on the road give me things to see :)

I'll definitely try reducing frequency and trying what you suggested mate. Cheers ;)

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
try alternate days but also dont neccesarily increase distance but introduce fartlek running. This is a method of interval training with a time on running time off recovering over set distances.

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
metric_thumbs said:

I must do this-i have uneven wear quite severely on the heels of my trainers.

Nic B-C said:
try alternate days but also dont neccesarily increase distance but introduce fartlek running. This is a method of interval training with a time on running time off recovering over set distances.
I`m all Fartlek when running :incheek:

·
Registered
857 Posts
i was running a lot til i got back from holdiay, and after two weeks hols went out and did 7 miles and ended up with sever shin splint in one leg.
Gave it a 6 week rest and went out again yesterday 6 miles, fine good timing cos i got the great south run in 3 weeks.
I only run 2 to 3 times per week, and it suits me.
I wouldnt go every night you won't get any decent recovery.

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
dragster172 said:
I must do this-i have uneven wear quite severely on the heels of my trainers.

:
The natural heel strike is slightly to the outside of the heal, the foot then pronates or rolls in to 'toe off' on the big toe. This is the ideal senario. The problems occur when the foot over pronates (rotates too much) which is the most common problem, 60% of us do this, or 'suppination' (under pronation) the most unusual problem affecting around 2% of the population.

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
girlofleisure said:
The natural heel strike is slightly to the outside of the heal, the foot then pronates or rolls in to 'toe off' on the big toe. This is the ideal senario. The problems occur when the foot over pronates (rotates too much) which is the most common problem, 60% of us do this, or 'suppination' (under pronation) the most unusual problem affecting around 2% of the population.
:eek: That lot should be in Mech Tech :D

I`ll get them checked...got to be worth a shout...while you`re here-which cardio machine in a gym is kindest on the knees do you reckon?
Bike?
Rower?
Steppy thingy?
:D

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
dragster172 said:
:eek: That lot should be in Mech Tech :D

I`ll get them checked...got to be worth a shout...while you`re here-which cardio machine in a gym is kindest on the knees do you reckon?
Bike?
Rower?
Steppy thingy?
:D
The cross trainer is the closest to running minus the impact, start gently though as the more resistance you add the more strain on the knees to rotate the foot plates though you can pull/push harder with your arms to take the strain off the legs.

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
girlofleisure said:
The cross trainer is the closest to running minus the impact, start gently though as the more resistance you add the more strain on the knees to rotate the foot plates though you can pull/push harder with your arms to take the strain off the legs.
:lol:

I knew you`d say that!
I`ve been waiting for the gym to be quiet before i have a go on it...looks a bit high tech...wouldn`t want to fall in a heap:D :D

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
dragster172 said:
:lol:

I knew you`d say that!
I`ve been waiting for the gym to be quiet before i have a go on it...looks a bit high tech...wouldn`t want to fall in a heap:D :D
It used to be my favourite piece of equipment, I'd do 1/2 hr of that (cardio) then 1/2 hr resistance (usually free weights) and finish with sit ups and stretches. Monday to Friday. Weekends off.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts