Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a wierd one the other day, went to get an introduction to scuba.

Was well looking forward to it, walked down feeling really calm. But as soon as i put the regulator in and went under water, had a quite bad panic attack.
Apparently it's not uncommon, but i could not shake it and didn't like the feeling at all.

Spent about 10 mins trying to shake it off and giving it about 4 other attempts. But everytime the same thing happened, and i had to get back onto land and say it's not really for me.

Has anyone else had this? Can you learn to shake it off, as it is something that i really want to do. But it just feels so unnatural breathing whilst underwater.

Andy

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orby1 said:
Westy77 did a lot of scuba I think, earlier this year he spent a while in Hawaii, or some other exotic jealousy-inducing place.... :)
it looks great, but just couldn't do it :( well gutted.

My mate Graham caried on and said that it was excelent. Could't sleep the night after as well as i kept dreaming about it as i drifted off to sleep.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I experienced this my first time down, but fortunately managed to get over it quite quickly and enjoyed the diving. Not sure it's 'panic' as such you felt, possibly just a strong reflex action to get head above water before breathing. Not a pleasant feeling either way.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I did 2 dives on the great barrier reef last year and loved it, only saw one shark though!

some people say it is a lot harder in a pool because there isn't alot to distract you.

why dont you try a bit of snorkelling first?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Scuba diving seems top be a phase most people go through. Personally i thought it was an excellent experience, But join a club and hire/borrow gear, So many people buy all the pretty stuff then give it up cos it really isn't that practical in the uk. If your a worrier don't bother, cos something else will give you a shock later and you could be a bit deeper.

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
it's not uncomon
it might sound a bit mad, have you been snorkeling
if you've got a snorkel to hand, spend some time sitting about with a snorkel, i have a friend who had similar problems when he first learn't, we sat him in front of the tv with a snorkel for a while, it helped big time ;)
it also could be the type of mouth peice, i've seen that cause problems over the years
there's not really a lot you can do about that one though :(
unless they have lot of kit with different bits in it
have you have a talk with the dive master about it, see if he has an idea of something to try
they are taught to help you over come problems
most important, don't under any urcomstances give up
the world below in a much nicer place

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,573 Posts
I love scuba. Got qualified in Cairns many years ago now and still do it. Got the wife to get qualified as well, so she was able to join in.

She passed on the day of princess dianas funeral (whenever that was) - since then we always do a couple of scuba dives on holiday.

Been fortunate to dive in some nice places as well - Australia, Borneo, Malaysia, several caribbean island as well as the Med and Red sea. Its a great thing to do as a couple.

Lots of people do struggle when they 1st try it and suffer from a desire to breath above water, but stick with it - like Spiny says its easier if you get used to snorkelling 1st.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bastards! (lucky)

I wish i could but i am an athsma sufferer and am not allowed to do it, even though it is the one thing i would most like to do. i have done a pool session, enjoyed that. I have a couple pairs of goggles and snorkels and fins that i use whenever i am at the beach. I just wish i could stay under longer

Give it another go if you can,

·
Registered
177 Posts
taken my lessons now in oz now starting at port nolonga (adelaide) then going of to queens land.

did my first pool dive and went well (apart from clearing my mask kinda breathed in throught my mouth under water yuk)

all i can say is stick at it and may be try putting your face underwater with a mask and snorkall to try and get over your panic.

·
faster than the human eye
2,242 Posts
my boy (camperboy jnr) and myself have not long completed our open water and we can't wait to get back in the water. we did ours in peterborough and the temp was 18 degree's. we hope to be going back very soon.

andy,try again it might be just a blip on the day.

phil

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Red Leader said:
Bit of a wierd one the other day, went to get an introduction to scuba.

Was well looking forward to it, walked down feeling really calm. But as soon as i put the regulator in and went under water, had a quite bad panic attack.
Apparently it's not uncommon, but i could not shake it and didn't like the feeling at all.

Spent about 10 mins trying to shake it off and giving it about 4 other attempts. But everytime the same thing happened, and i had to get back onto land and say it's not really for me.

Has anyone else had this? Can you learn to shake it off, as it is something that i really want to do. But it just feels so unnatural breathing whilst underwater.

Andy
The first time I went under water I was hit by the sound of my own breath and by the odd feeling of being able to breath. But I was pretty young and it didn't freak me out. BUT it is a very weird moment.

And anytime anyone has asked me what it's like to dive the one thing I say is: 'you'll find the sound of your own breathing odd at first.'

I don't think there is a magic answer. At the risk of sounding harsh or rude... you need to just get a grip and get on with it... or accept it's not for you.

·
faster than the human eye
2,242 Posts
peelo said:
The first time I went under water I was hit by the sound of my own breath and by the odd feeling of being able to breath. But I was pretty young and it didn't freak me out. BUT it is a very weird moment.

And anytime anyone has asked me what it's like to dive the one thing I say is: 'you'll find the sound of your own breathing odd at first.'

I don't think there is a magic answer. At the risk of sounding harsh or rude... you need to just get a grip and get on with it... or accept it's not for you.
harsh word's indeed peelo lol :D :incheek:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i have my PADI instructor card ;)

the panick attacks arent that common imho, i would have said to try snorkling for a while first in the pool

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a buddy that has her dive masters, so hopefully will go diving with her, really want to experience it.

No i have not snorkled, so i guess that is why it was so alien to me.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Red Leader said:
I have a buddy that has her dive masters, so hopefully will go diving with her, really want to experience it.

No i have not snorkled, so i guess that is why it was so alien to me.

Cheers
to be honest a dive master, is just as good as a instructer, just doesnt have the number of dives, i prefere dive masters as the instructers are nearly allways so far up there own backsides

try and give the snorkle a god for a bit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts