Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some bits for a 66 uk rhd bug but not !00% sure what I'm looking for so wanted to double-check.
Needs a door or two - are these '64-66? One has a push button handle.
Rear number plate holder - what years are the right one?
Is there anything else unique to the 66 (it has the correct steels and hubcaps)?

Thanks,
Steve

· Seasoned Chat Slut
743 Posts
Need some bits for a 66 uk rhd bug but not !00% sure what I'm looking for so wanted to double-check.
Needs a door or two - are these '64-66? One has a push button handle.
Rear number plate holder - what years are the right one?
Is there anything else unique to the 66 (it has the correct steels and hubcaps)?

Thanks,
Steve
Unfortunately 66/67 Beatles are THE biggest pain to sort parts for.3 different capacities all with different parts.doors are 66/67 only as the glass is bigger and quarter lights were last of the chrome handles etc.youve got unique 6v electrics.unique trim(rubber handles/ knobs).I've got a fair few 67 bits but you have to know what cc and what trim level you have

· Registered
8,746 Posts
As Buggypete says, '66 and '67 Beetles are a pain.

I think door handles changed mid way through the '66 model year from the square push button to the round push button '67 style one. Mine was built in Sept '65 so is an early '66 model and has square push buttons and the older style door latches.

I think the rear reg plate lamp is '64-'66 only.

You can find a comprehensive (US focused) list here:

1966 Model Year Changes (1966vwbeetle.com)

Mine doesn't have the hazard flashers, I think that's a USA thing.

Here's my 66:

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
My first Beetle was a 66 1500, it had front disc brakes and a rare engine decklid I think was only fitted to the 1500 model in that year.

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
1500 and the one year only decklid would be a '67 model year, even if produced in 1966 :)
Yeah, sounds right, I don't have the chassis number to check.
It was imported from Malta, RHD, (because they drive in the shade), 6 volt electrics, 4 bolt wheels, so most likely 67.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately 66/67 Beatles are THE biggest pain to sort parts for.3 different capacities all with different parts.doors are 66/67 only as the glass is bigger and quarter lights were last of the chrome handles etc.youve got unique 6v electrics.unique trim(rubber handles/ knobs).I've got a fair few 67 bits but you have to know what cc and what trim level you have
Hi Pete,
seems to be a 66 1300.

· Registered
2,750 Posts
Did the 66 not have it’s own door handle? I could be wrong but afaik
65 square button that the key locked the handle
66 round button that the key locked the handle
67 round button that the key locked the door and pulled the locking button down inside like ablater car. I’ve a 67 and remember having to go through all this 20yr ago so I’m not 100%

· Registered
2,678 Posts
You’re right. A ‘66 lock is unique, it’s the same exterior door handle as a ‘67 but the actuator on the lock barrel is longer, sitting a little deeper into the door, the door locking mechanism is shallower to match and is fitted with the early door latch (different cut out in the door to a ‘67) which works with the early interior handle making a ‘66 lock mechanism probably harder to find than a ‘67 😳

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Did the 66 not have it’s own door handle? I could be wrong but afaik
65 square button that the key locked the handle
66 round button that the key locked the handle
67 round button that the key locked the door and pulled the locking button down inside like ablater car. I’ve a 67 and remember having to go through all this 20yr ago so I’m not 100%
66 did on a 1300 deluxe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts